Used 1998 Nissan Maxima SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Our favorite car of all
By Ralph

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We bought it used at 11k miles, and it is now at around 168k miles. We had 2 Maxima before this one-a 78 and an 81. We have had outstanding reliability experience with all three. Ours is the SE model with heated leather seats (which my wife loves). The engine has plenty of power, and it gets fairly good mileage for the performance level. Our average has been about 25 MPG, and up to around 30 MPG on long summer trips. I do the routine preventative maintenance consistently, and we have had no reliability problems at all. Everything works as expected and nothing falls apart repeatedly like the domestic autos we owned in the gap between our 81 Maxima and the 98 we have now.

Favorite Features

Engine; Smooth, powerful, reliable, long lasting and economical. Overall high reliability! Comfortable seating with the heated leather power seats. Accurate cruise control. Factory quality commitment.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a little more room in the trunk and less intrusion in the trunk of the trunk lid hinges.

An oldie but goodie
By Mark Hoffman

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Have owned my '98 Maxima for just over two years. I purchased it from a family member with only 51,000 miles on the odometer. The car has been reliable and fun to drive. It's a great interstate hauler having made four trips between Indiana and Texas over the last year. The car is very comfortable to drive and the handling is superb. One of its greatest attributes is its almost 360 degree driver visibility. Blind spots are practically non-existent. Highway mileage is great at 30 mpg, but city driving tends to consume a lot of fuel. The only mechanical problem has been a fluid leak in the power steering.

Favorite Features

The '98 Maxima is a great looking car even with its rather conservative styling. Power and performance in a handsome package.

Suggested Improvements

More lower lumbar support in the front seats would be great.

Superiority Before It's Time
By JGree23

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3000 with 160K miles. At first I didn't know what to expect out of this car. I had just sold my 2001 Acura Cl Type-S, due to transmission problems made by the manufacturer. After 1 week of being in this car, I was completely shocked that my Acura only had a few things that the Nissan did not. This Nissan has it all, power, comfort, and plenty of room. I stand 6"2 and there was still room behind my seat. This car is a solid driver, refilled every oil and fluid as soon as I got it and car has never gave me a problem. It rides extremely smooth. It simple has everything I need. 22 MPG city/ 28 MPG highway, always used 91 Premium Gas.

Favorite Features

The power - My Acura had 260hp, Nissan was rated at 190hp. I owned the Acura for 3 years, and honestly can't tell which one is quicker. Space - roomy and spacious Reliability Fuel Efficiency Everything

Suggested Improvements

Outer design was a bit boring but ok. Needed a 6 speed manual instead of a 5 speed, help with fuel economy. There is nothing I can think of to make this car better.

Great Car!!!
By bigev

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since 98. Never had any serous problems knock wood. It is fully factory except for a k&n air filter. Gas mileage not 2 bad I get about 17 city on regular and about 28 highway. Engine is more than sufficient. Currently has 112,000 mi on it still almost as good as new. I would recommend this car to anyone in the used car market

Favorite Features

styling interior and exterior, amt of parts avail., size, handling

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy, everything else is perfect

Love my '98 SE 5 speed
By Jonathan

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 95000 mi. 4 yrs ago and I have been running it hard ever since. The car is comfortable, classy, fast, dependable, fun to drive and now with 195000 mi. still runs strong and torquey. Very few problems in the 100,000 miles I have had it. In really cold weather the cruise control is intermittent. I had to have a new airbag control at 185,000, $750. Now the ABS light is on. Will get that fixed in the spring. Other than that I have had no real problems... still running the same clutch, same water pump, same alternator, same suspension parts, no problems. I love this car. It's one of those rare cars that comes along and it becomes a keeper. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Growl of the 3 liter V6, the torquey acceleration, the superb handling, the smell of the tan leather interior that still smells good at 195000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

None