1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Our favorite car of all
By Ralph on 04/01/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We bought it used at 11k miles, and it is now at around 168k miles. We had 2 Maxima before this one-a 78 and an 81. We have had outstanding reliability experience with all three. Ours is the SE model with heated leather seats (which my wife loves). The engine has plenty of power, and it gets fairly good mileage for the performance level. Our average has been about 25 MPG, and up to around 30 MPG on long summer trips. I do the routine preventative maintenance consistently, and we have had no reliability problems at all. Everything works as expected and nothing falls apart repeatedly like the domestic autos we owned in the gap between our 81 Maxima and the 98 we have now.

An oldie but goodie
By Mark Hoffman on 03/31/10 13:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Have owned my '98 Maxima for just over two years. I purchased it from a family member with only 51,000 miles on the odometer. The car has been reliable and fun to drive. It's a great interstate hauler having made four trips between Indiana and Texas over the last year. The car is very comfortable to drive and the handling is superb. One of its greatest attributes is its almost 360 degree driver visibility. Blind spots are practically non-existent. Highway mileage is great at 30 mpg, but city driving tends to consume a lot of fuel. The only mechanical problem has been a fluid leak in the power steering.

Superiority Before It's Time
By JGree23 on 09/06/09 00:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $3000 with 160K miles. At first I didn't know what to expect out of this car. I had just sold my 2001 Acura Cl Type-S, due to transmission problems made by the manufacturer. After 1 week of being in this car, I was completely shocked that my Acura only had a few things that the Nissan did not. This Nissan has it all, power, comfort, and plenty of room. I stand 6"2 and there was still room behind my seat. This car is a solid driver, refilled every oil and fluid as soon as I got it and car has never gave me a problem. It rides extremely smooth. It simple has everything I need. 22 MPG city/ 28 MPG highway, always used 91 Premium Gas.

Great Car!!!
By bigev on 06/04/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since 98. Never had any serous problems knock wood. It is fully factory except for a k&n air filter. Gas mileage not 2 bad I get about 17 city on regular and about 28 highway. Engine is more than sufficient. Currently has 112,000 mi on it still almost as good as new. I would recommend this car to anyone in the used car market

Love my '98 SE 5 speed
By Jonathan on 02/22/09 20:20 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 95000 mi. 4 yrs ago and I have been running it hard ever since. The car is comfortable, classy, fast, dependable, fun to drive and now with 195000 mi. still runs strong and torquey. Very few problems in the 100,000 miles I have had it. In really cold weather the cruise control is intermittent. I had to have a new airbag control at 185,000, $750. Now the ABS light is on. Will get that fixed in the spring. Other than that I have had no real problems... still running the same clutch, same water pump, same alternator, same suspension parts, no problems. I love this car. It's one of those rare cars that comes along and it becomes a keeper. I love this car.

They killed my baby
By osvolant on 01/13/09 13:33 PM (PST)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Bought in 2000 with 40k miles, now has 128k and is going to the junk heap because some idiot crashed into it while parked at the curb- ins. co. is totaling it. Sigh. Excellent balance of performance, comfort, and mileage (25 mpg suburban, 27 highway, 5-speed) Still on the original clutch, original struts, has never needed Freon, burns no oil, has no rust, and the Bose stereo still sounds good. Had to replace one CV joint boot; otherwise only routine maintenance.

98 Maxima
By dan on 11/01/08 19:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had 2 BMWs, 2 Buicks, 2 VWs, 4 Olds, 3 Nissans and a Cad. This is overall the most dependable and driver friendly car I've owned.

Great Car
By Nick on 11/02/07 20:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been extremely reliable. I have never been stranded. Engine is fantastic even after 150k miles. I am glad I did some research on Edmunds. My only problems were a bad oxygen sensor, a bad knock sensor, and the fan switch only works on high. I still drive with these problems but hope to fix them soon even though they are minor. This car is the best bang for your buck!

Best Car I've Owned
By Best Ever on 09/05/07 13:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought a new 98 Maxima SE 5spd to replace a BMW 525. I've driven 215k miles and the only non-wear item replaced has been the alternator! Still has the original clutch, second set of spark-plugs, and second set of brake pads. I drive mostly highway and average 26 mpg. It seems to have a perfect blend of economy and performance, and I couldn't be happier!

Best car I've ever owned
By Todd Columbus on 06/01/07 18:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had more than 20 cars, and never owned one for more than 3 years before this car (9 years, >100,000). It's absolutely the perfect balance of acceptable family car, but an absolute thrill to drive, especially with the SE suspension and 5sp. I was contemplating trading it in, and I just can't do it. I've replaced the muffler, an O2 sensor, and the blower motor for the heat/AC. If you are contemplating buying a used Maxima, I strongly encourage you to go for it!