Used 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

GSX 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

Beauty at a cost
By GSXman

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I've had two 2nd gen GSXs. These cars are very nice looking, the AWD is great for performance in the snow, wet and dry. The turbo engine has pretty good torque, but it has noticeable turbo lag and the engine runs out of breath at about 6000 RPM, so the fun power band is actually relatively narrow. The mechanical and electrical systems on the car are far from reliable. The dashboard design, while attractive, is ergonomically flawed as the shift lever blocks the stereo. There are squeaks and rattles from interior panes and suspension parts, rain can leak into the cabin. If you're tall, cars with a sun roof can be a tight fit.

Great Car with Potential
By Gino

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Everybody hears about the reputation these cars have, but people who have experience will tell you different. If the car is taken care of, this car is awesome. It has the tried and true 4G63 which can be made powerful with ease. The '95 model has an EEPROM ECU and no CAS so it will be a positive for modders. Also, since its a '95 and AWD you are exempt from OBDII test and dyno test. This is the best year, just do the conversion and you are set.

Favorite Features

The 4G63 turbo motor and AWD.

Suggested Improvements

The 97-99 body conversion.

Great Car
By Dane

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Overall, this car is by far my best investment ever. It looks great, and drives fantastic. It provides great performance and decent handeling. The only downside to my car is the gas milage while driving it hard. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Upgrading parts on it is fairly cheap, and makes it even better.

Favorite Features

The looks. Inside and out, it looks, feels, and drives awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I can think of would be some better springs/coilovers on the car. I plan on upgrading mine. It brakes down every once in a while, but overall it is a great car.

Fun Car
By lindsay

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I have only had it for two weeks, but it's completly stock and runs great and so smooth. I'm loving it! Not sure what I plan on doing with it, but I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like my 1995 Eagle Talon.

Power for a price
By iwishiwascool

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX GSX Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

In the course of owning this car, I have become a DSM mechanic. It is important to realize that anytime you attempt to push HP levels beyond what the manufacturer intended, you sacrifice reliability. However, I have been more unlucky than most. I was diagnosed with crank walk 1 month after purchase. $3000 later and a few modifications the tranny exploded. Now another motor later, and replacement of most moving parts, and at ~400WHP most of my issues have been resolved. As a commuter car or grocery getter, this is not the ideal car. As a platform to create a very respectable 4 cylinder drag car it is ideal. For that power you pay the price in reliabity.

Favorite Features

AWD + (slightly bigger) Turbo + boost = 0-60 faster than any production car.

Suggested Improvements

Crankwalk is a problem known to mitsubishi. A full recall would cost hundreds of millions in full block replacements. It is real and it is quite common. If stricken with this there is a great deal of info on the web about 90-94 block replacements to curtail future crankwalk issues.