1997 Mitsubishi Diamante 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Rough in the Diamante

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante - Consumer Review

ES Sedan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Rough in the Diamante
By Mauricio on

1997 Mitsubishi Diamante ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my Diamante with 77,000 miles for cheap. It's a dream ride. It's quiet, powerful, smooth. But it's a heavy car, so the brakes go fast and they are not strong enough for the car. The transmission is not strong enough either. Over a long period and it starts to fail when down shifting. It seems like it's a common problem on high mileage Diamantes. A lot of little things have started to go wrong. The AC started failing. The trunk didn't open from inside anymore. The leather seat started ripping, etc. They are excellent cars for a while. The drop in the bucket was the failing distributor at 99,000 miles. After that, I had to sell it. Too bad, they are not easy to find and I miss it.

Favorite Features

I love the great engine, it was like new at 99,000 miles. The rest of the car didn't agree. It has a smooth ride and a great sound. It couldn't compete with other luxury in the market.

Suggested Improvements

Its gas mileage was only 18-20 MPG in the city, which is just OK nowadays when the Prius is making 60 MPG. Better parts would be nice, specially better brakes and transmission. It drives like a big car. I would like to see a tighter wheel and not such a soft suspension.