Used 1997 Mercury Sable GS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Love this car
By Lori

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

I've driven this car for years now and it's a kicker. Strong engine, reliable vehicle, comfortable enough, Plenty of room for everyone and thing. It's roof rack and fold down seats was next best thing to owning a truck when the need arised. At 160k it was still going strong, I anticipated it lasting 200k easy. Safety second to none. I was hit and it took it, no one was hurt in the car. Definite keeper. Looking for another one now.

Favorite Features

Third seat with 2 shoulder strap safety belts. 60/40 fold down rear seats. Reliability. Middle front seatbelt. Roof rack

Suggested Improvements

Ash tray, with the fold out console. It's a pain, can't reach it.

Great car
By zikj

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

Car has 170,000 miles and still going strong. Only a few minor issues that you might expect after 100,000 miles. Camshaft sensor went out, rear wheels have gone out of alignment requiring some filing and the transmission acted up at 130,000 miles but then corrected itself (go figure). Overall a great vehicle and believe it will go well past 200,000 miles. Would buy another. Great handling, style, comfort, quiet and reliable.

Favorite Features

Style, handling and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Better air conditioning distribution in the rear.

Awesome Vehicle
By amazonkarebear

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

I bought this vehicle because my old car was a peice of crap and dying and I needed something quick. This car was a very good price and in excellent condtion from the previous owner.

Favorite Features

It has wonderful room and a very well planned interior with the exception of the ashtray placement!

Suggested Improvements

Im sure nowadays the ashtray is optional, but that would have been my only improvement.

A few problems
By Fred Applegate

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

At 5 1/2 years and 52000, after light suburban driving and regular maintenance, the car needed a transmission rebuild and a new front end at a cost of more than $3300. The mechanics seemed not to be surprised, and I know them. Our kids play soccer together, and he is an honest guy. I can only imagine how much this would have cost at a dealer! The biggest problem is that it is the ideal car for our needs.

Favorite Features

Controls, seats, useful features.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and front end reliablility.

sable=good
By Jimf

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

The sable is good. It reminds me of a Ford Taurus. It should be driven by more people.