2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
636K on 2
By mount4ever on 02/06/12 18:57 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased my first 97 5.0L AWD off the floor. Had no idea how great it was to be. Drove it daily mostly hwy until I donated with 334K. Only major issue ever was a transfer case at about 200K. Normal wear and tear like rotars, pads and a couple alternaters. Changed the oil every 6 or 7K! Found a second 2001 model with 50K in 2005. Still using it as daily with 304K! Ford fixed the transfer case problem after 1998 so no issues at all with this one. Rotars, front barings one alternator and thats it. Better half got tired of looking at it so today I went out to look at F150's. Came across a 2000 model Mountaineer with 102K like new. Pick it up from the dealer in 2 days. BEST in snow and towing 2.

Finally a winner
By KUHNSTER on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Monterrey mountaineer 3- 4 years ago. Had 50,000 miles when bought as 2nd owner now has 83,000 and running strong. Love the pwr. sunroof, 5.0 v8 power, interior is great, looks good going by. Never had a problem,routine maintenance (oil,brakes,rotors) The AWD is great and handles Ohio snow's without a problem. Had a 2000 GMC Jimmy-lets see. 2 computer's, 4 alternators, 1 starter, electrical problems that would stall vehicle (once in Tennessee), transmission x2. Upgraded to this Mountaineer-no regrets at all.

Nice SUV
By rylo02 on 07/14/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Mountaineer with used with 91000 miles on it. This was a 1 owner vehicle and i have not had any real major problems with it. The only thing that i have had to do was replace the ball joints at 103000. This SUV is great in the Winter time and I like driving it. I am thinking about upgrading this to a 2004. i would recomend this SUV to anyone who is looking

Love this vehicle
By kuhny on 06/10/08 16:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased my 2001 Mountaineer about 2 months ago, and I love it. So far I love the 5.0 V8 lots of power, love the leather seats, power moonroof, the way it handles, and just the overall vehicle. Mine has 55,000 miles on it and sure there will be plenty more fun miles. Tows my trailer and family just fine. Downfalls are the display on radio (easy fix) and the gas mileage, but you are driving an AWD SUV. Gets about 15 in town and 20-22 mpg highway, still better than my Jimmy (and it was a V6). I am very satisfied with this vehicle so far, will buy another one when time.

Wrong Chassis for an SUV
By Jerry on 05/31/05 09:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Dependable, very powerful engine, but do not get that secure,always in control feel, one gets with a newer and different chassis Suv. Wrong purchase for me!

Stump pulling torque
By fordgirl on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving various sedans and sports cars for the last 12 years, this is a refreshing luxury. The ability to jump into any traffic & be able to merge seamlessly is a pleasure. I also like to be high up to see all the traffic around me. This also offers me the ability to haul all of my clients & all our stuff.

car
By john davis on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is a really great car.I love it a lot I love to drive soon

Nice SUV
By APD on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with this SUV. I have owned a number of trucks in the past and this one by far is the most comfortable one yet. Because of its relationship to the Explorer, you are able to find many parts to upgrade mechanical and appearance.

Best I've owned
By Nichiar on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it as an excutive car with 10k on it. I have put 16k on it since then. Considering that it's awd, it has worked well both on steep mountain rocky trails in northern Arizona and in sane in the desert.I do a lot of hunting and get off road frequently. It could do a little better on gas (getting 14 to 18). Other than that, I have not had any problems with it.

Not a bad vehicle
By Heynow on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this vehicle and even though I have only had it a short while I am pretty pleased. This is my first SUV and it is a nice change after driving a Toyota Corolla for three years. I love the leather seats and all the cool gadgets like service updates and the mileage updates.