Used 2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Not too bad after 128k miles
By skmcobra

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car in 2010 with 81k miles. She bought the extended warranty but I believe only needed it at around 115k miles for an oil pan leak. Today at 128k miles the radiator coolant fans have quit running. Ford dealer quoted me $750 parts & labor but I had done my research and found fans for $100 less at O'Reillys. They honored the price and dropped cost to $650. Getting it fixed today. Over all this has been a reliable and safe car. Great to drive in the snow with the all wheel drive. Gets about 22-24mpg on the highway and about 17-18 in town. I can't speak to the tranny issues many mention, but it may have been fixed before we bought it.

Burned!!!
By kingsime1

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought and paid for a 2008 Mercury Mariner, and on the day I made that last payment...my 2008 Mercury Mariner literally started to fall apart! From the "torque converter" to the cigarette lighter...you name it, and there's a problem...of which I see thousands of complaints online, yet no recalls, or any attempts by your company to right these wrongs your company has done by knowingly selling faulty products, and doing absolutely nothing about repairing these problems after you've taken the money! I swear, I will NEVER purchase an american product (not only cars, but anything with "made in U.S.A." on it) in my life. It's no wonder the american car companies folded to the foreigners!

Favorite Features

My favorite features are none...sorry, but there's SO many problems with this vehicle, I can find NO joy in it. Which is sad, because it's a 2008 with no payments left, yet I feel like I've been burned! Big Time!!!

Suggested Improvements

Build better products!!!

Excellent after 100,000 miles
By shihchi

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Mariner new in June 2008, trading in an '02 Escape w/ 150,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles, the Mariner has had no problems. Avg. 26-29 mpg. "Hassle" of folding down back seats is nonexistent: requires 30 seconds. No big deal. Replaced noisy OEM Continental tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, and little, if any, road noise can be heard. Like the leather seats and moonroof. 1st gen. 4-cylinder, 4-spd auto trans. work well; I don't miss additional cubes or gears. Pop-open rear window very handy. Upscale ambience nice. Never experienced trans.-coolant leakage; recalled before any problems experienced. Seats very comfortable for all-day drives between Dallas and St. Louis.

Favorite Features

Mileage, build quality, ambiance, leather seats, utility, cargo room, pop-open back window, quiet tires.

Transmission!!
By lb330011

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to participate in the recall on the transmission a couple years ago after having my car less than a year. Today I go to start it and the transmission is completely out! Never again will I buy a Ford. The customer service is horrible and of course the new transmission issue has nothing to do with them.

Very Poor Gas Mileage
By missmgmnt

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2006 Kia Sorento in for the 2008 Mariner this past July. The Mariner was very stylish and offered newer accessories like heated seats and the back up warning system. Initially when I filled my tank up the mileage meter would read "320 miles to empty". But since my first oil change at the dealer this figure has steadily decreased to the point where today it read "227 miles to empty". How on earth could the fuel efficiency drop from 320 to 227 miles like that???? When I fill the tank I generally add between 11-12 gallons so that isn't the issue. VERY disappointed! With the high cost of gas today, such poor fuel economy is just unacceptable. Wish I could get my Kia back! :-(

Favorite Features

The heated seats are great for long rides, especially if you have a bad back - makes the ride so much more tolerable. The moon roof is also nice on a sunny day.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy needs to be addressed. There is no excuse for such poor fuel economy. Also, I've only driven on icy roads once so far and the Mariner did not handle nearly as well as most reviews claim - it skidded to a halt a lot - made me very nervous. My Kia handled icy roads much better.