2008 Mercury Mariner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:
Burned!!!
By kingsime1 on 02/17/14 15:21 PM (PST)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought and paid for a 2008 Mercury Mariner, and on the day I made that last payment...my 2008 Mercury Mariner literally started to fall apart! From the "torque converter" to the cigarette lighter...you name it, and there's a problem...of which I see thousands of complaints online, yet no recalls, or any attempts by your company to right these wrongs your company has done by knowingly selling faulty products, and doing absolutely nothing about repairing these problems after you've taken the money! I swear, I will NEVER purchase an american product (not only cars, but anything with "made in U.S.A." on it) in my life. It's no wonder the american car companies folded to the foreigners!

Excellent after 100,000 miles
By shihchi on 06/22/13 19:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Mariner new in June 2008, trading in an '02 Escape w/ 150,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles, the Mariner has had no problems. Avg. 26-29 mpg. "Hassle" of folding down back seats is nonexistent: requires 30 seconds. No big deal. Replaced noisy OEM Continental tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, and little, if any, road noise can be heard. Like the leather seats and moonroof. 1st gen. 4-cylinder, 4-spd auto trans. work well; I don't miss additional cubes or gears. Pop-open rear window very handy. Upscale ambience nice. Never experienced trans.-coolant leakage; recalled before any problems experienced. Seats very comfortable for all-day drives between Dallas and St. Louis.

Transmission!!
By lb330011 on 03/20/13 16:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to participate in the recall on the transmission a couple years ago after having my car less than a year. Today I go to start it and the transmission is completely out! Never again will I buy a Ford. The customer service is horrible and of course the new transmission issue has nothing to do with them.

Very Poor Gas Mileage
By missmgmnt on 01/06/12 14:43 PM (PST)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2006 Kia Sorento in for the 2008 Mariner this past July. The Mariner was very stylish and offered newer accessories like heated seats and the back up warning system. Initially when I filled my tank up the mileage meter would read "320 miles to empty". But since my first oil change at the dealer this figure has steadily decreased to the point where today it read "227 miles to empty". How on earth could the fuel efficiency drop from 320 to 227 miles like that???? When I fill the tank I generally add between 11-12 gallons so that isn't the issue. VERY disappointed! With the high cost of gas today, such poor fuel economy is just unacceptable. Wish I could get my Kia back! :-(

Bad Transmission
By speedlump2 on 07/22/11 05:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new 2008 Mercury Mariner from Malloy Auto Mall in Woodbridge, VA. In 2009 the transmission starting skipping gears. Took it to the shop, it was fixed under warranty. 2010 took it back to the shop for the transmission again. Not covered by warranty. Cost over $800 to fix. Jump forward to 2011, took it back to the shop, for what you ask? The transmission again. This $2235 to fix it. Ford refuses to do anything about it. DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE. I wish I would have read other reviews before I purchased. I will never buy another for vehicle. Don't take my word. Read other reviews and see the same problem I have.

huge let down
By pincer78 on 06/15/11 12:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i like many others had the problem with the transmisson cooler leak, which was fixed, but now my transmission is out, i have 65,000 miles on my vechicle and had to buy a new transmisson, i was wondering if anyone else had this problem or did i just get the lemon. i havent had any other problems until i noticed the leak, got it fixed immedately then a month later my transmisson started slipping, couldnt believe it, i will never by another FORD again, apparently they dont take pride in their vehicles otherwise why just the 60,000 mile warranty instead of 100,000 like the other competetors. if anyone else has had this problem please let me know, thanks

Lovin My New Ride !!!!
By tigger66 on 04/17/11 10:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '08 Mariner after my "00 Tacoma was recalled due to a safety issue. I love the blue dash panel,the 6 disc CD changer and the MP3 port.The climate controls and the sound system controls are nicely located and easy to use. The console shift makes it look sporty which I love.The center console is roomy and has a removable tray that can be used elsewhere in the vehicle. The seats are very comfortable which was a concern of mine. My only issue is the silver painted plastic which is used on the console and on the door panels...They scuff and look old and cheap.I did buy my vehicle pre-owned so I didn't expect perfection however for a three year old vehicle,this shouldnt be an issue.

Watch out for leak
By tom on 06/03/10 15:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased mariner 4 months ago. Ran great then noticed fluid leaking from transmission coolant. Knew the Escape had this problem so i purchased the mariner. Good thing SUV still under warranty at 33,000 mi.

fluid leak
By Em on 04/25/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased my mariner used at 40,000 miles, 1 month later I noticed fluid leaking. Turns out Ford sent the transmission fluid through the A/C condenser and from what I have heard its been nothing but a problem! The good news is this issue has been recalled and I was able to get everything replaced for free. Other then the leak, I love my new car!

Beware
By LARRY BUMP on 03/08/10 15:25 PM (PST)

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 27,000 miles something is wrong and it is leaking transmission fluid. The sad part is it has been at the Ford dealer 3 weeks today because they don't have a replacement part. Today I was told they aren't sure when the part will come in. Keep your eyes open if you own one, because it sounds like a common problem with this vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.