1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great car.

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Review

Great car.
By slkdriver on

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Sport 2dr Convertible

This car definitely gets attention when I drive. If you really want attention, drop the Vario-roof while waiting at an intersection. To me, 192 horsepower engine with 200 ft. pounds of torque is plenty zippy for me. I like the short gearing since it provides more torque, which is what you want in U.S. (seeing how we have 60~70MPH speed limits.) There is no performance difference between the automatic and manual trannies. I've had the car for two years and I've never had so much fun. I play golf and I can pack 2 smaller golf bags -- Ping L8 bags -- into the trunk by placing woods on top of the bags (this is with the roof up, of course.)

Favorite Features

Torque - 200ft.lbs. Looks with top up and down - most convertibles don't look good with top up. Roof - safe and practical

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim - my door panels came loose as well (was replaced under warranty.) Stereo - In-dash CD player too much to ask in a $45,000 car?