Used 2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S550 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mercedes-benz S-class - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:

Rough start to a great ride
By jlightfoot

2012 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S550 4dr Sedan (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

At 570 miles the pulley on the alternator wore a hole in the bottom radiator hose. I was 450 miles from home in west Texas. The dealership took a hose off a new car on the showroom floor to get me on the road, however it turned out the water pump had an incorrectly formed flange. The nearest water pump was 10 days away in Germany. They rented me a car to finish my journey. Once the new water pump came in and the old one was replaced the dealer I bought the car from in Dallas sent a truck 250 miles west to pick up the repaired vehicle, haul it 450 miles back east to my driveway. The service was incredible and Mercedes has my highest praise. Just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Minnesota.

Favorite Features

The lane maintaining feature and the blind spot awareness are worth their weight in gold. Every car should have these features. My wife enjoys the split screen that allows her to watch a movie while I can drive in total, beautiful silence. The new engine delivers a real snap and better gas mileage than the 2007 S550 that was traded in. That car had 116,000 miles and road mileage ran a pretty consistent 24 MPG. The new car is running 27 MPG or better. Had one 200 mile leg on last trip that averaged 29 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Very much preferred the dark gray interior available in the 2007. This car has the lighter interior and I can see where it is going to show dirt very easily. Also feel the truck is a bit smaller.