1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Crossing 275k
By riccar1 on 06/12/14 08:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Couldn't be a happier owner. Purchased a formerly leased car with 43,000 miles and have just crossed 275,000 miles with zero problems of any significance. Of course have had some things wear out that are normal, but the car remains powerful and absolutely dependable. Much better car than the 1990 Lexus 400 it replaced in 2003.

Rust
By shotmaker on 09/22/13 20:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Have taken great care of this car. Only has 120,000 miles and the body is starting to rust really bad. This car has been washed and not in Michigan winters but for only about 5 years. I have been told that this happens allot because of the poor quality of the steel they used in 1999. Is anyone else having some of the same problems. What is Mercedes doing to help repair these cars rust problems.

love the E class 320
By billc1975 on 03/29/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

had my 99 E-320 for 2 years now it has 94k miles , ive had to put around 6k in repairs into it because i plan on keeping this car a long time, it has never had a single mechanical problem, only a few electrical items, and thats to be expected if you dont take precaution in florida heat. ( i learned and since no problems) the only thing i didnt like were the seats, they could be a little more comfy, almost like a board with very thin padding over it, besides that, i have absolutely loved everything about this car, the pickup on takeoff is very strong, the ride is smooth, and the look elegant. i would recommend this car to anyone looking to keep a vehicle for the long haul, and hey..its a MB

The best or nothing?
By hank55 on 10/13/11 03:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

My glamorous E 320 @ 38k miles start to show rust bubbles all over the body and cracks around the passenger air bag on the dashbord, the wood finish on the center console is peeling out, the turn signal is loose from the base, I must say that this car is garage kept and no winters what so ever! so when I call MB they request pictures of the car, no problem, then Mary call me and refuse my claim saying that the car was too old to help me, I explain that I have a ML with more miles and no rust and there are more cars like mine around the globe with the same problems and how MB help them out again the anwer was no and also the supervisor said no!

German Beast
By golfdino on 06/23/11 00:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I have to say this car is best all around for commuting and long travel trips. Its not the best handling of the competition but it out accelerates all others in its class including BMW. I was in a 3 car crash at 70 mph once and walked away with no scratches. The bodyshop said if I was in a chevy, I would have lost my legs. Car is like a tank. The chassis is strong and stable. You feel very safe driving it at high speeds - but not as much as in the rain. Bose system is great- which is worth the option upgrade. The paint holds up for years and is strong against scratches and dings. I have had BMW, Lexus, Caddys, and Porsche - and I have to say the build quality of MB is the best.

GOOD WORKHORSE
By SAL on 02/25/10 00:26 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This was my first mercedes. I have leased 3 more new ones since.I bought it with 10300 miles on it. yes I have put some $$ in it,however never cheated. Always serviced by Mercedes Dealer( same dealer). Most important is not to use after market parts. as long as you stay with real Mercedes parts your car will appreciate it and you will too.Only problem I have; it has too much power! feels like 8 cylinder. Very balance and won't skip. I feel safe driving it. Responsive steering and brake system gives you confidence. even new ones are much more reliable, ( i have 2008 CLK) How ever it is fun to drive this one.

220000 miles and still strong
By california driver on 12/28/09 20:42 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought my e320 with 120000 miles it was well maintained. and i took over, my first benz. it has been good to me. i do oil changes, i have changed rear window lifting devices and hand to change sliding mechanism to moon roof, and i changed valve cover gasket but the car still purrs like a tiger. its good on gas and feels like a tank and its a benz, when it reaches 400k i will buy an S Class 2006 4matic. i will drive it till it popps i would feel guilty trading it in for 3k it is worth more than that to me. Viva DeutchLand

Favorite car I've ever owned
By david on 08/28/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 58K miles a few years ago. Yes I've had to put some $ into it, (belt pulley, spring housing, alternator, fuel pump, O2 sensor, and it went through a major light bulb replacement phase) but I have to say that I love the car. Neighbor owns a repair shop that specializes in high- line foreign cars, so any time I notice anything out of sorts I send it to work for the day with him. It is now at 121K and still runs like a top. I'm fairly certain that I can get another 120K out of it (unless my neighbor retires). I hope they are still building the 2010 E-Class like they did in 99... Hoping I can pick one of those up in a few years.

Good bang for the buck
By Mickey D- N- Tn. on 05/19/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This 99 E 320 had 6500 miles on it when purchased.We have have averaged around 10,000 mi. per yr. and 32 MPG or better on hwy. Recommended scheduled maintenance by MB certified tech and that is it.What more could you ask for?????

Multiple repairs on my E320
By Tim on 04/28/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Ownership experience has cost thousands more than the purchase price. I would not buy this car or another Mercedes Benz if I could have a do over. AC has been replaced twice. Control modules have been replaced. Sun roof had a terrible leak with multiple repair attempts. The sun roof would open on its own. The windows would go down on their own. The car alarm would even go off in my enclosed garage.