1993 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
I really loved this car.
By Best Old Car. on 11/08/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my dad, who ended up moving up to a SUV. It has never had any problems in the years I've had it. I got it with 150 thousand miles on it and since I've had it it now reads 264 thousand! I am sadly going to have to let it go, not due to the car giving up, just that I'm unsure about how many more miles it really has in it. I plan on passing the car along to another person in the family. The reliability is unmatched among my friends and I was always the one chosen to drive on long trips because of the gas mileage. I had the manual and it really had that vroom- vroom that just makes you feel good. Plus the space was great for camping, could fit everything plus a Lab!

Best car I have ever owned
By rex on 07/23/09 11:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

i needed a car to hold me over for a few months. i bought it off a little old lady that literally just drove it to church on sundays. i asked if she had any problems with it, she said never. i have had it for nearly 4 years and the only thing that i have done to it is new tires, brakes, and a battery. it always starts. i was out of town for several months through the dead of the winter and when i got back, i got in and started it... you would never have known that it had just been sitting outside for that long in all the elements. i now have 130k on it and it is still strong... my mechanic said i should get 200k before i will have to do anything to it. i recommend the 93 protege very highly!

Mazda Protege 1993
By Selx1 on 08/13/08 21:55 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car three years ago with 273,000 kms on it. Replaced the exhaust, replaced water pump and timing belt. Body work etc. Almost 80,000 kms added to the total... sitting at 358,000 kms now. Does not burn oil. Still has lots of power, great on the highway. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Review of 1993 Mazda Protege Over 12 Yrs
By TurtleLady on 02/28/06 19:19 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this teal 1993 Mazda Protege DX 4Dr new off the lot in 1993. I've had it for 12 years now, and it's been a very dependable car. The fabric on the ceiling is beginning to tear, and the drivers side seat has a small wear- through. The paint is peeling. But in terms of mechanical reliability I couldn't be happier! It has had 3 major replacements of the steering system, but all were within 5 year warranty period. I was driving 55 down the highway when I had a rear blowout. I only knew it because I smelled rubber and saw pieces of tire flying up in the rear view mirror. The handling of the car did not change! I'd buy another one without hesitation!

CANT BREAK IT
By Reikoshea on 06/12/05 00:42 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have put about 80,000 miles on this car and I bought it with 150,000 on it. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I drive my cars harder than anyone. I cannot break this thing. I have had to replace a tie rod and an alternator in 4 years. I have run this car into a mailbox, bottomed it out countless times and e-braked around corners more times than i can count, and it still runs. The only thing holding this car back is the look. It looks just like every other import of the year and truth be told it isn't that appealing, but it'll still get up and go with the best of them. If you need a daily driver with little maintenance, I'd recommend buying my Protege when I sell it.

Forever new
By Mark on 03/16/05 10:19 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my '93 DX since July 1994 and I still drive it everyday 70 miles round trip to work and back, through snowstorms and blazing summer heat. This is one well built car. I have 170,000 on it so far; replaced the usual - front axles at 95,000, timing belt at 110,000 (really didnt need it but I got nervous), ball joints just this summer and then the usual maintenance. Haven't had a car payment in 9 years which makes me smile everyday and the car still drives like it did the day we bought it. I can tell the crankshaft seals are deteriorating as is the seal around the distributor (smell oil burning and can see buildup of oil in these areas) but if I have to sink even $500 into it still rocks!

I love my car
By StellaTbird on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1993. I have totally enjoyed it. I have not had anything I would call major go wrong with it. Normal maintance and just plain worn out is about it. Like timming belt & cv boot etc. I did blow a spark plug and had a leak in the ratiator. It does burn a little oil now. After 10 years and 120,000 miles you would be tired too. I once had a problem with the selt belt light coming on and staying on. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they fixed it for free. They told me Mazda does not mess around with problems with the belts. I would buy Mazda again for sure.

It Gets Me There... And Back!
By lifeskills on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 119,000K and now have 147,000K in nearly 4 years. Do the math and see that many people do that in just one year. With such low mileage, I expect the muffler to rust out at least every 18 months (as any car would, under the same conditions) And the engine is starting to 'sweat' a little oil, giving the car a constant burned-oil smell. My wife has left the lights on a few times, but a boost brings this old timer right back to life. When I need it, this car gets me there... and gets me back!

Best value around
By A. Tutter on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1996 with 54,000 miles. Now have 132,000. Only major problems have been the front axles (one replaced under warranty, the other was out of warranty and cost $300), the radiator ($400), and a component of the ignition system ($200). Definitely not bad for six years and 78,000 miles of use! Another point: the proteges seem to be much more rust-resistant than some other Japanese cars of the same age...

just got the car
By shaggy on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had a mitsubishi eclipse before this i totaled it ....I was sad and only got 2000 for the old car...And after nightmare after nightmare looking for a car for 2000 i found a mazda protage and i am very satasfied....Runs like new and gets good gas milage... I could have found a beter car for me... PS and there good cars but not over priced like honda....