Update
By jdowmiller on
1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible
This review is an update from one I wrote a couple years ago. This MX-5 continues to hold up well. I finally made my first repair at 110,000 miles. The slave cylinder needed to be replaced. According to other owners, this is a fairly common repair at around 100,000 miles. I replaced the 7 year old top but that was a personal choice - not totally necessary. Otherwise, no issues. I'm still on the original springs and shocks and it STILL performs better than nearly any car on the road. My one criticism is that, over the years, I've concluded that this car's full potential cannot be realized in daily driving. Thus, the car is rendered nearly useless. A more appropriate convertible might be a Jeep.
Favorite Features
The car is unfailingly reliable. Its handling ability per dollar is legendary. The interior design may be dated but that only adds to it's "vintage" appeal. With the top up, the exterior lines are beautiful. The top, by the way, is a one-hand deal - super simple.
Suggested Improvements
None. Like above, though, I am saddened by the fact that this car, like all sports cars, is useless for anything other than track use.