Great Car - not so fuel efficient
By rsilverst on
2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)
I am writing this review as a mostly happy owner of my new Mazda3. After driving my first 1000 miles of mixed highway/city miles, I am a bit disappointed that all 4 tanks of gas have yielded between 23 and 25 miles per gallon. I realize that the car is rated 22/29. Nonetheless, given the highway split, I am a bit surprised it's coming in at the low end of middle. This is not a large car, and it surprises me somewhat that my 13 year old Corolla with 155,000 miles on it was getting significantly better mileage. For now, I am very happy with the car - it's great fun to drive. But maybe I will end up going for a hybrid in a couple of years.
Favorite Features
The interior and exterior design look and feel great. Lots of good features for the price, and especially compared to competing models.
Suggested Improvements
Make the car more efficient - if this means offering the 2.0 liter engine on the 5-dr hatchback (currently not available) that would at least be a start. Don't force people to buy the 2.3L to get the hatch. That's not a great plan.