Used 2002 Lincoln LS Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lincoln Ls - Consumer Reviews

2002 Lincoln LS

View reviews for a specific LS model:

I love it, but it's cursed
By Kristy

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Keep in mind, I have bought it with 178,000 miles on it at a very good price. Nothing but problems so far. I have barely been able to drive it. The transmission was bad. Replaced rack and pinions, all front control arms, hydraulic fan, hydraulic pump, power steering pump, and driver's side window regulator. I'm hoping after the control arms are replaced I will be able to finally drive it. Plus, my air bag light is on. Also, my check engine light is on due to a leak in a HVac hose somewhere. All I say is keep up with the maintenance on this car.

Favorite Features

Automatic seats

Good looking, comfortable cruiser
By bigpoppa

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 02' V8 in May of 09'. Only 58k on the odometer at the time, and the previous owners seemed to take good mechanical care of it. It is a great looking car! Shine it up and take it for a cruise on a sunny afternoon and it still turns a few heads. Clean lines and a classic "Euro" look means it has aged very well, compared to something like the CTS. I find the ergonomics/levels of comfort perfect for my 6'2" figure, but as others have said, the interior materials need more refinement. The ride is smooth on most surfaces, but gets uncomfortable over rough pavement. Performance is good, can't go wrong with the ol' V8/RWD setup. Fast depreciation makes for a good used value.

Favorite Features

Steering is very good, and the interior fits 4 comfortably. The factory stereo is also very nice, however there is some vibration coming from the speaker in the drivers door when playing songs with a lot of bass. My favorite part of the car is the clean, understated appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Have pretty much all of the common issues, loose rear seatback, foggy headlight, a few interior squeaks/rattles, etc. Acceleration off the line could be better for a V8 that gulps premium fuel (getting 16 mpg around town). Interior materials aren't up to par, and the factory 16" wheels are pitted.

Good Car - Great Value
By GUT

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

As my 2nd LS, the 2002 has been a workhorse. I have had it for seven years, now, and never had many problems with it. The electrical system has had its problems, over the years, but it has always been underr warranty and never been a severe problem. For those who bought a 5- series BMW, you could have saved your money and had a better vehicle. I would buy it again, if Ford hadn't stopped making them! In case you are wondering why the American auto manufacturers can't survive - look no further than this decision!

Favorite Features

Great acceleration and handling, comfortable seating and great H/AC.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible in the snow and ice, need AWD version.

What a dissapointment!
By John

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I was so happy when i purchased my LS because i always admired the car since Lincoln introduced the car in 2000, but that would be short lived. The LS has major issues! After a month of ownership, i had to pay $450 to replace the multi-function switch because my signal lights were acting up. Second, i had a engine misfire (which is a common problem on this vehicle) had to replace 3rd coil, all spark plugs and both value covers which cost $1100. Last, my airbag light came on and it cost another $1000 to repair. I took the car to the Ford dealership for service and repair. After 1 year ownership of the vehicle, i had to pay $2500 in non- maintance repair. Stay Away from Ford/Lincoln and the LS.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, comfortable, has a lot of power.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap parts. The car was poorly engineered. Thanks god i was able to trade it in and buy a Honda.

My LS
By Lincoln JC

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the LS V8 three years ago and loved it in the begining. Start by saying I will never by a lincoln LS again. With a small block V8 didnt think the milage would be this horrible. The K&N filter did help out with more horse power and gas milage. Had to return the car the first week I had it cause of faulty power packs whatever replaced the spark plugs. That cost the dealer over 500 dollars. Transmission is HORRIBLE! after the warrenty company replaced it with brand new trans. Im still having problems. Cost me over 700 to replace alternator. 1200 in tires and window brackets 280 for only one door I have yet to replace the second rear window. would not recommend the Lincoln LS people.

Favorite Features

The part that still works properly.

Suggested Improvements

stronger power window equipment. more reliable transmission. Re-evaluate instument illumination light, for the shifter as well mind doesnt work anymore. Trasmission is the main concern with this car. I dont care to think about how many people are having the problems I am having with this car.