Used 2002 Lincoln LS Base Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lincoln LS - Consumer Reviews

2002 Lincoln LS

View reviews for a specific LS model:

NOT A GOOD CHOICE.. and its sad
By Brit

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I have been crushing on this particular car since the early 2000's when I was in junior high. Finally I got old enough, but not smart enough to go out and pick out my own car.. I have had it for a year now.. and Ive had many problems with it. The inside is falling apart.... (air vents...driver heated seat..door control panel...) the 2 driver side windows have quit working and they're both off track.. The heater doesnt blow very warm, esp on the driver side and the a/c quits after getting up to about 35-40 mph and it doesnt work at all on the passenger side. The radio...well the speakers are magnificent! The cd player hasnt worked since I bought it. Lets see.. The battery is huge and its located in the trunk... had to have new breaks over the summer- which those are normal replacement parts on any vehicle. Had to have the water pump replaced. I have recently had to replace the power steering pump and let me tell you, it was a job and a half getting that done, the location on the darned thing was horrible.. I've been having trouble with the jewel shifting out of 1st gear properly... The car started missin' after I got it... and the gas miliage has since then been horrible.. i am lucky to get 10 mpg. Oh yeah ..there's something going on with the advance trac mode/deal.. that and the break light sometimes stay on after starting the car..I just shut off and turn it back on til they are not there. There isnt really anything too normal about this car, but I guess thats a "Lincoln Lesson" for ya. Anyhow the body on the car is super cute in my opinion, and like I said the radio sounds great but only makes for an expensive looking radio... and if youre looking for a car, remember any of these that are actually left on the road today.. will only wind up being left on the road.. :-( Ive still got mine simply because right now its my only option.. too bad I dont have one in my yard I could use for parts... But then again, there wouldn't be...because they're all junk.. lemons, i tell ya... and it certainly is a heartbreaker... she aint worth a dang, but boy she's pretty. Now i gotta go, time for me to take it and have the oil changed and a tire rod end replaced.

I love it, but it's cursed
By Kristy

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

Keep in mind, I have bought it with 178,000 miles on it at a very good price. Nothing but problems so far. I have barely been able to drive it. The transmission was bad. Replaced rack and pinions, all front control arms, hydraulic fan, hydraulic pump, power steering pump, and driver's side window regulator. I'm hoping after the control arms are replaced I will be able to finally drive it. Plus, my air bag light is on. Also, my check engine light is on due to a leak in a HVac hose somewhere. All I say is keep up with the maintenance on this car.

Automatic seats

Good looking, comfortable cruiser
By bigpoppa

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 02' V8 in May of 09'. Only 58k on the odometer at the time, and the previous owners seemed to take good mechanical care of it. It is a great looking car! Shine it up and take it for a cruise on a sunny afternoon and it still turns a few heads. Clean lines and a classic "Euro" look means it has aged very well, compared to something like the CTS. I find the ergonomics/levels of comfort perfect for my 6'2" figure, but as others have said, the interior materials need more refinement. The ride is smooth on most surfaces, but gets uncomfortable over rough pavement. Performance is good, can't go wrong with the ol' V8/RWD setup. Fast depreciation makes for a good used value.

Steering is very good, and the interior fits 4 comfortably. The factory stereo is also very nice, however there is some vibration coming from the speaker in the drivers door when playing songs with a lot of bass. My favorite part of the car is the clean, understated appearance.

Have pretty much all of the common issues, loose rear seatback, foggy headlight, a few interior squeaks/rattles, etc. Acceleration off the line could be better for a V8 that gulps premium fuel (getting 16 mpg around town). Interior materials aren't up to par, and the factory 16" wheels are pitted.

Good Car - Great Value
By GUT

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

As my 2nd LS, the 2002 has been a workhorse. I have had it for seven years, now, and never had many problems with it. The electrical system has had its problems, over the years, but it has always been underr warranty and never been a severe problem. For those who bought a 5- series BMW, you could have saved your money and had a better vehicle. I would buy it again, if Ford hadn't stopped making them! In case you are wondering why the American auto manufacturers can't survive - look no further than this decision!

Great acceleration and handling, comfortable seating and great H/AC.

Horrible in the snow and ice, need AWD version.

What a dissapointment!
By John

2002 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I was so happy when i purchased my LS because i always admired the car since Lincoln introduced the car in 2000, but that would be short lived. The LS has major issues! After a month of ownership, i had to pay $450 to replace the multi-function switch because my signal lights were acting up. Second, i had a engine misfire (which is a common problem on this vehicle) had to replace 3rd coil, all spark plugs and both value covers which cost $1100. Last, my airbag light came on and it cost another $1000 to repair. I took the car to the Ford dealership for service and repair. After 1 year ownership of the vehicle, i had to pay $2500 in non- maintance repair. Stay Away from Ford/Lincoln and the LS.

Exterior design, comfortable, has a lot of power.

Stop using cheap parts. The car was poorly engineered. Thanks god i was able to trade it in and buy a Honda.