Used 2001 Lexus RX 300 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Lexus engine
By Eric Rodriguez

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Lexus about 9 months ago with 180,000 miles now I have 208,000 miles. I haven't had any issues the last owner was a family friend that took care of the maintenance very well. My question is what is the average life of the engine how much more miles can I get out of it? I been taking care of the maintenance on car since got it.

N/A

N/A

great vehicle
By n8webb

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought this used, and we couldn't have been more lucky with a vehicle. great on gas, safe, quiet, dependable.

luxurious, cheap, maintenance free

the paint on the roof rack chips away.

milage reliability
By pbuehler

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the first 120000 were smooth trouble free getting 18mpg town/25mpg road. went to bridgestone tires and rides like a limo. leather seats are thin but comfortable. at 125000 2 fuel injectors worn out $700. at 135000 smog canister failure light $700. now, front passenger seat air bag system warning lights. cost ? as it is going to someone else.

it looks and gets the respect of a Lexus. even at 135000 paint/exterior look new. interior is not plush like the other models but is wearing OK.

Transmission break down.
By saimatha

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have 115000 miles. The transmission had failed on the freeway. Cost to have it fixed with a remanufactured transmission from same dealer is $3400. Surprized to find this failure at 115000 miles. did not have this problem with US cars even with mileage more than 150000. Are we blind sighted to the quality of Lexus? This dos not complain about the failing door locks and engine light on etc.

Big problems at 89,000 but loved my little RX300
By milomadison

2001 Lexus RX 300 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car and miss it but it wasn't worth the problems we ended up having at only 87,000 miles. Especially after paying what we did. Transmission issues a known problem I see now. We bought it used in 2005 with only 41k miles on it from a Lexus dealer in CA and it was certified (which means nothing). We loved it until this year, the transmission went out, which Lexus agreed to put in a refurbished tranny and we had to pay the labor $1500.00. Then the battery went and then we started having lights go on, the traction control light would not go off, then the driver window would get stuck! You would think a higher end car would be built better!

I loved the style. It was roomy, it was great in the snow and it was not even 4 wheel drive.

Better Tranny (known issue).