2004 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (115 reviews )
The money pit of cars
By MG on 04/08/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Order this car new with all the upgrades-experienced brake downs within the first 3mo. After discovering repair cost, got extended warranty - this car has never been off road, meticulously maintained - went through 2 transmissions, 3 rear ends, 2 front drives, 2 radiators & cooling-cd blew out and all of this between 50&90k. When it runs-there's non better on the road-repairs a nightmare-dealer response-"so sorry" but it's your problem-they could care less-having owned several high end cars- this has been the worst of all-over 30k in repairs-if not for extended warr. I would be broke! Resale value-there is none-pd almost 100k, now worth less than 15k in 5years.

Worst car ever made!!!!
By Karmafan84 on 02/14/10 15:44 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for two years and it has been a love hate relationship. beautiful to look at, stunning interior, fast and nimble for how big it is. The problems come from ALL THE PROBLEMS. Been in the shop 10 times now, had to replace the suspension at a cost of 4k and still have problems, the sound system and navigation regularly short out, the engine coolant reservoir blew and had to be replaced, the seals are all starting to leak and it is very noisy at highway speed, and the front parking sensors no longer work. Not to mention the people at the dealership are extremely rude and told me that it is pretty old and reaching end of life. its only 5 years old!

MOUNTAIN ROVER
By Frank J on 12/29/09 12:12 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my RR with less then 24000 miles and now have 66000 on it. I have been to Sedona, AZ three times, Pheonix, AZ once, Big Sur/Carmel California once and Ouray,Silverton CO. twice with a first leg drive on Black Bear Pass (pass was washed out in early spring 2008). I love the RR, and so does my family. It is comfortable and quiet on the road, dependable except for a battery discharge problem when parked for an extended time, (I use a trickle charger).

By Curtis Hall on 12/15/09 17:10 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I just wanted to give an update on my 04 RR HSE (bought with 34K in 4/08). So far so good, no problems just regular maintenance (Brakes & Oil changes). I did have the Driveshaft repaired under the Factory recall ($0). I must say they seemed to make alot of strides with the 04 models. I would definitely buy another one.

Problem every 2,000 miles.
By Disappointed on 10/16/09 19:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought with 50,000 miles and thank god I bought a 3rd party warranty ! By 75,000 it had 2 ball joints go, needed a brand new radiator, then a new transmission, then I got stranded in another state with a blown water pump, 2k miles after that the fuel pump went, then $1,200 worth of electrical work. I put less than 10k miles a year because it's ALWAYS in the shop. Will NEVER by a Rover again ! And advising my friends not to either !

Dressed up Hot Trash
By Liquidair33 on 06/03/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Just wanted to drop 0.2 cents about my '04 Rover. Rides nice except that the transmission lurchs into and out of third, shop doesnt know what the deal is. Also when the brake pad sensors go off to tell you that they are worn, well that actually means that you'll need new rotors. If the battery runs out when you leave your lights on, well it wont be able to be jumped by a tow truck slave and youll have to get a new $300 battery and new head gaskets (I guess they just wear out after 65K). You will look very fly driving this ride but make sure you get a dependible back up ride for when its in the shop. And some room on your Credit card for the repairs.

Transmission & Radiator Issues Beware
By Mpanico2004RR on 05/19/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

For anyone buying a pre owned 2003-2005 Range Rover HSE, make sure that the radiator issues in the past have been corrected. They fail and the electronic thermostat does not sense the overheating. Thus, the radiator fails and the transmission overheats with zero warning. Over time, the tranny 50K on will eventually fail and cost you thousands to repair. We are a loyal RR family owned 2 and one saved our friends life in a head on accident. But, Land Rover North America has zero loyalty back after your cars warranty expires. Even though you may have had chronic complaints about issues they can not resolve, after that warranty expires and things eventually fail, they say sorry. Terrible!

Some owners need to understand.
By PITBULL on 11/28/08 05:55 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've had a few different SUV's and this one is the best so far. For owners who whine about gas mileage..."You knew it had a V8!" If gas prices were cheap I don't think anyone would be crying about the Rovers gas economy. I've also read some owners comments about "squeaking" noises. Leather seats need to be conditioned with leather conditioner and that will stop the "problem" with interior noise. I'm willing to bet that a lot of complainers have never had to actually take care of their cars. Just take them in to service and spend a ton of money! Everyday car care could solve a lot of these so-called problems that people who would probably never take them off-road would have.

Pleasantly surprised so far
By Curtis Hall on 08/22/08 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my 2004 RR HSE in 4/08. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality and workmanship of the RR. I have had to take it to the dealership for the 37.5K service (free complimentary service). Nothing major but while at the dealership I did have a couple things repaired 1.) New dashboard readout console--mileage numbers began to fade. 2.) Problem with locking mechanism on rear hatch--problem fixed 3.) Transmission Failsafe Program came on--Sensor reset (that does make me a little nervous). Dealership repairs are expensive so look for a independent LR shop.

Hands Down Best Luxury SUV
By RoverEnthusiasts on 08/03/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The ride is superb and very, very comfortable. Air suspension further enhances the feeling. No problems since the purchase date, and still rolling problem free. Off-road, the Range Rover performs as if it were a military jeep, effortlessly crossing downed trees and mud ruts. The gorgeous interior and jazzy exterior and mountain-goat like off roading abilities is worth the admission price of $70,000+(new)