2004 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (115 reviews )
The Most Realistic 04 Range Rover Review You Will Read
By randa314 on 06/01/14 07:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 HSE last year for roughly 13k and I have without question LOVED everything about the vehicle. Comfort, the performance, the overall ride of the vehicle. I've been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. Not sure how I would measure by the gallon, but I will say that when I fill up for 75.00 a tank, I can go from central VA to North Jersey on one tank and still have some fumes left over. A full tank gets me roughly 476 miles total for highway driving. For my local 20 minute each way commute to the office and my around town stuff, I can get through an entire week on one tank. Due to lack of characters, I will need to continue in a seperate review.

Simply the best
By nutty123 on 11/16/13 12:58 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Range Rover and by far the best. I still get that buzz every time I climb into the drivers seat. Comfort is absolutely outstanding, in fact there isn't a seat in the house that is as comfortable. The smooth gear change, build quality, and the envious looks you get from other drivers says it all. Those little extras like heated steering wheel, parking sensors front and rear, and TV make it special. I have the LPG conversion which means that in real terms I get the equivalent of about 40 mpg which is amazing for a car of this size and quality. Quite simply the best 4 x 4 in the world.

Pleasantly Suprised...A Gem
By pdxrover1 on 06/04/12 16:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We've owned this car for 3 years now. No major issues to speak of, must have gotten a good one. Only have 71k miles on it, but are looking forward to another 15k or so before upgrading to a newer model. 2004 is a great year with a fantastic engine made by BMW, not like later years where ford took over. Has never let me down reliability wise, took it to Alaska for a year, never slipped, got stuck, or had any kind of hesitation.

Worst Car of all Time
By flyboyz123 on 02/19/12 15:57 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the worst car that I have ever owned in my life. 1.) very unreliable, less then 2 weeks after purchasing the car the air suspension went out. Grand total =$2,000 2.) less then 3 months after getting the suspension fixed the transmission went out. Grand total = $6,000 3.) Worst gas mileage on a vehicle I have ever seen I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, it looks good and is comfortable but thats where the buck stops.

A nightmare wrapped in a prettty package.
By maxmoney on 10/10/11 13:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car was one of the best cars I purchased until I hit that 50-60K mark. After I reached 60K it was downhill from there. Had it in the shop countless times because of having to replace the suspension (which I converted to coil instead of replacing the expensive air suspension), had to replace the radiator twice, an alternator (because the coolant from the radiator that leaked caused it to malfunction), a fuel pump replacement, countless brake pad and rotor replacements, and top it off with hard-to-find tires. This used to be a fun vehicle to drive but each time I turn the key i'm worried if i'll need AAA to tow me from the side of the road.

perfect truck
By rba8888 on 10/02/11 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I researched for a while for a new truck to replace my lifted Tahoe. I'm very happpy with the truck. The reliablity is better than I expected. I didn't buy the Range Rover for fuel economy (in the real world driving wife gets 16 I get 22) I bought it for rough roads towing; well almost anything I want really (7000lbs). The audio system is stunning, I cant help but to smile everytime I turn something on. I can't help but to smile every time I think of the range rover. If you do need to take the Range Rover to the dealer for repair or PM. They take very good care of you. My dealer in Cincinnati is excellent! Over all the truck is great of value!

Land Rover got it right
By rba8888 on 09/08/11 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I was completely estatic to buy the Range Rover. My previous truck was a Tahoe. This is a polar opposite to that truck. The navigation does leave something to be desired. However the performance from a 4.4L engine is exceptional! Assuming you have a repair manual; maintance and repair costs aren't anymore expensive than a domestic vehicle. I have zero complaints with this truck. Offroad is excellent. Road driving is also very smooth. The acoustics are a great thrill especially when connected to an Ipod. Trailer pulling was a pleasent surprise too! I didnt feel the car I was hauling behind me. Lastly on my summary the fuel milage is poor but I expected that. Overall I'm very happy with Rover!

Land Rover '04
By lsd1 on 07/20/11 19:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Love the Land Rover design and purchased a certified '04 Range Rover a few years ago. The car was wonderful to drive and the most comfortable SUV found. Navigation system was not has hard to figure out as others have suggested. I did have mechanical issues such as engine light repeatedly coming on, steering column falling in my lap, tail-gate latch failing . . .but nothing kept the car off the road (albeit the steering column issue was tricky and fixed ASAP). I have since sold this SUV, but still in love with the styling and going to give Land Rover another chance. Trusting that the new owners have made some headway on reliability, while keeping awesome design.

Poor Quality/Poor service
By doobie856 on 06/24/11 12:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I own a 2004 RR and in the time that I have owned it, it has been a constant problem. I had a problem with the recall service that was completed on the vehicle 2 years ago and LR simply said that it was not there issue and that I would have to eat the cost. Within 2 years I am having to replace the front differential and drive shaft, after LR said it was properly replaced. Understand, I do not off-road my vehicle, or take it through any type of rough terrain. I believe that the quality of product (parts) and service are very poor and not worth the money. For those of you looking to purchase one, I would consider alternatives.

Best SUV I have ever owned
By Alex on 04/13/10 02:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I am so happy I took a chance and purchased a used range rover for only $17,500. I bought it with 103,000 miles on it but looked and drove 10 times better then one of my newer SUVd. I cant tell you how amazing and smooth the ride has been. Everyone over exaggerates repair and reliability problems but with a little bit of homework you can have things fixed easily. My left air strut died which is expected after 100k miles but easily found a refurbished one online and a month later my right air strut died as well and once again found and replaced it with a refurbished one. All I have to say is there are no amount of repair bills that could ever add up to the original MSRP and I saved over 70K!