2003 Land Rover Discovery - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:
Great family suv/ real off road vehicle
By J. Linz on 05/29/05 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Has been well worth every penny I spent! Powerful and good handling. Only service has been oil changes and a few minor interior window rubbers - had some sun fade. A great family vehicle.

All Name, No Game
By JC on 05/09/05 11:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After running my 03 Disco for 44k, my vote is mixed but leaning towards the not worth the price and could use lots of improvements side. Nothing big has gone wrong, but lots of little items have. Both front windows failed in a week. Gas door has broken twice, horn buttons snapped off, leaking windows, two oil leaks after service, brakes need changing almost yearly, spark plug wires went bust, cruise control is poor and punchy, and comfort level in rear is horrific, front poor. A/C vents just donít seem to hit driver in face, a must in Florida summers. On the other had, great looks, powerful, off-road works very well.

Great vehicle with bad gas
By Sam on 04/10/05 12:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I towed 6,000lbs of Porsche 911 and full trailer across the country with this truck. Never missed a beat. Ran super in the snow and is very comfortable not to mention great looking. Zero problems. Brake pads are still more than 50% in front. DVD player is wonderful for kids. Everything you could want except for some of the worst gas mileage in its class. We average about 12 MPG. But considering we bought late in the model year and got a $42,000 truck for $31,500 I figure the savings buys me about 4,000 gallons of gas. So no worries.

Perception is Everything
By Monte03 on 01/19/05 06:54 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Buy it only if your intentions include offroading. Only then could you truly enjoy this vehicle. There are a plethora of better handling and more fuel efficient SUV's, but none that are as truly capable off road. Some people suggest the Touareg, but I would highly disagree. Every major component on the lower 50% of that SUV is susceptible to damage due to its independent suspension. One more suggestion to people who are buying this rig... Get the Old Man Emu steering stabilizer as a first order of business. Especially if yours comes with the 18" wheels. It will eliminate, for the most part, rut-tracking on the freeway and bump- steer.

I Love This Truck
By Peter Taylor on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a truck - not a sedan! Don't make the mistake of confusing the two! This truck has been, over the past two years, simply the best handling, capable and fun to drive vehicles I have ever owned/driven. It handles very well on any surface, in any weather. The ride quality is superb! Easy to drive, it takes care of you. I've found myself in precarious situations and have made it through unscathed! With plenty of power and pickup, I've a confident feeling in any situation. To anyone who daily drives the DC streets, the offroad features make this vehicle a dream as it makes it's way, effortlessly, through arguably the worse streets in the nation.

Power to spare
By coldbt on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Rugged and powerful... Makes my '93 Wrangler look like a toy. Truly an off raoad vehicle with tremendous towing capacity. Installed cat-back "real" dual exhaust with K&N intake... 20% performance increase plus and honest 20 MPG an trips

Consumer SUV lover
By Jhomefinder on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Great midsize vehicle-fun to drive, nice to look at. Third row seats are a snap to use and to pur away. Only complaints are poor stereo sound quality, poor placement of CD changer (under passenger seat) and poor gas milage. Plus, I think they could do something a little different with exterior design, but overall a fun and stylish vehicle!

LUV My Land Rover
By jkincaid on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Land Rover. It sounds like some folks have trouble with theirs, but I have had none. I am going on almost a year now with it. I love the seating position, it drives through anything (including 18 inches of snow this last winter). There is tons of room for anything you would ever want to take with you. My Dad bought a 4Runner at the same time I bought the Discovery and is ready to get rid of his car now that he has driven mine. The dealership is great. They are friendly, keep to their appointments and finish on time. Just budget for GAS!!! I spend about $200 a month driving around town. It's a lot - but well worth it to me.

best 4x4xfar
By supadan on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

bought my disco2 in november and have been thrilled with it every day. Never have i had such a capable vehical. This from a guy who owned a jeep wrangler,bronco and f150 for the past 20 years. took it to the dunes of Yuma,CA.in stock condition and went where no other 4x4 could. Even dunebuggies had difficulty and h2's were left stranded in camp. winter driving is profoundly better due to the incredible traction control and ABS that actually works. As a bonus you can take it to a swanky restaurant and feel as good about it as you would a great sports car.

Rather Be Walking
By Rather Be Walking on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Disc.SE new and experienced problems ever since. Replaced electronic control units in both sunroofs, fixed the driver's side window and front sunroof as they were stuck open, cigarette lighter and heated seats stopped working after 2 months, and gas tank door fixed several times-it refuses to stay closed. Tail lights burn out continuously, back door bolts rusted since month 2 and bolts under hood corroding. Vehicle is very loud. Control panel layout is awkward at best. After sale service was so bad that I would never go back to that dealership. Take a very long test drive before purchasing this vehicle. Can't wait to get rid of mine.