Used 2006 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Rio Wagon

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Killed one, going on another!
By adoom

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had a used 2006 Rio5 for a short bit before getting t-boned in a winter storm. The offender was a dodge caravan making an illegal left turn. The Rio took the hit well, with little damage to me...but the car was a write-off. After much searching for a new car, I ended up buying the exact same model. The Rio5 is great on gas, the 5sp is peppy enough to be fun. The spare tire cover is crap, I recommend buying a piece of plywood to cover it. The balljoints in the 3 kia rio5's that I have driven have all needed replacing.

Favorite Features

My Favourite Features are the fuel economy, the 5spd transmission, and the back seat. Somehow my 6'2" teenagers can fit in the back no problem. The fuel economy averages well over 30 mpg, and the 5sp tranny is peppy enough to be fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Suggested improvements would have to be the belts and the ball joints. I have driven 3 rio5's, all 3 needed new ball joints, 2 needed new power steering belts. Also the paint chips toooo easy and the car will rust instantly after the chip.

pleased with this car
By petevt

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Nearing 79,000 miles, all driving done in and around the mountains of southern vt. Except for 5k oil changes and regular service, the only work I've needed is a wheel bearing, fuel tank purge solenoid and air bag wiring clip (all covered under waranty). Put 4 good studded snows on this car and you'll go anywhere. 34-35 miles per gallon, I've hit 39 on the highway, driving at 60-65 miles per hour

Favorite Features

2006 model came with 15" alloys, nice a little car like this. Great cd- radio. Passing SUV's on snowy roads.

Suggested Improvements

A sun-roof. Seat gets a little hard on a long drive. A 6th gear would provide even better mpg

Wish it was stronger but a overall good
By OLDSCHOOLDEVIL

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'll tell you I'm hard and neglectful on cars and this Rio has kept up. I didnt give it a oil change for 15000 miles and it started and drove like a champ. I have had small problems (eats through tires and brakes wear.) Not to confy. I drove from California to Texas and I'll say I'm young and those seats i cant stand to sit in them for more than a hour. Decent on gas. I'd recommend this car to young kids that are neglectful and need a good car to get them by. Nothing fancy. I do like the strong speaker system.

Favorite Features

speaker system, gas milage, bullet proof engine

Suggested Improvements

more confort for commuters

best fuel efficient, reliable car
By euroboy

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 rio5 has already 385,000 km on it and is still running perfectly. It's my second rio, I drive it for a living, and I love the car, I cannot say a bad word about it, it never gave me any problems at all. The only thing I fixed so far are: ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods (rough country roads) & fuel purge valve (filthy north American gasoline) buy the car new, maintain it well, don't drive it like a maniac (I. E. Floor the gas pedal), change oil every 5000 km, timing belt every 100,000, put premium fuel in it and she will never fail you! To the guy whose rio stalls & overheats on the hwy: go buy a tank!

Favorite Features

gas mileage, reliability, comfort, acceleraton

Suggested Improvements

the only thing I'd suggest is adding a 6th gear... the rpm gets a bit high @ 130km/hr

brake problems and gas pedal problems
By karen

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased because of the cost and size along with good mileage. I have had 3 brake cylinders replaced in less than 1 year two of them on the same side and still my brakes are squeaky and at times making noises that I have never had before in any vehicle I have ever driven. They seem unwilling or unable to diagnose the real problem. I am very disatisfied with the car. Problems with the gas pedal sticking 1st thing in the morning and they are unable to find the problem with that as well. I'm unhappy with the car.

Favorite Features

hatchback

Suggested Improvements

Better carpet and better finish. Close the large gap in the front seats so you don't lose everything you put on the seat to the floor of the backseat.