2006 Kia Rio Wagon Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Rio Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:
Killed one, going on another!
By adoom on 01/06/14 11:59 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had a used 2006 Rio5 for a short bit before getting t-boned in a winter storm. The offender was a dodge caravan making an illegal left turn. The Rio took the hit well, with little damage to me...but the car was a write-off. After much searching for a new car, I ended up buying the exact same model. The Rio5 is great on gas, the 5sp is peppy enough to be fun. The spare tire cover is crap, I recommend buying a piece of plywood to cover it. The balljoints in the 3 kia rio5's that I have driven have all needed replacing.

pleased with this car
By petevt on 03/13/10 16:13 PM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Nearing 79,000 miles, all driving done in and around the mountains of southern vt. Except for 5k oil changes and regular service, the only work I've needed is a wheel bearing, fuel tank purge solenoid and air bag wiring clip (all covered under waranty). Put 4 good studded snows on this car and you'll go anywhere. 34-35 miles per gallon, I've hit 39 on the highway, driving at 60-65 miles per hour

Wish it was stronger but a overall good
By OLDSCHOOLDEVIL on 08/25/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I'll tell you I'm hard and neglectful on cars and this Rio has kept up. I didnt give it a oil change for 15000 miles and it started and drove like a champ. I have had small problems (eats through tires and brakes wear.) Not to confy. I drove from California to Texas and I'll say I'm young and those seats i cant stand to sit in them for more than a hour. Decent on gas. I'd recommend this car to young kids that are neglectful and need a good car to get them by. Nothing fancy. I do like the strong speaker system.

best fuel efficient, reliable car
By euroboy on 04/20/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 rio5 has already 385,000 km on it and is still running perfectly. It's my second rio, I drive it for a living, and I love the car, I cannot say a bad word about it, it never gave me any problems at all. The only thing I fixed so far are: ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods (rough country roads) & fuel purge valve (filthy north American gasoline) buy the car new, maintain it well, don't drive it like a maniac (I. E. Floor the gas pedal), change oil every 5000 km, timing belt every 100,000, put premium fuel in it and she will never fail you! To the guy whose rio stalls & overheats on the hwy: go buy a tank!

brake problems and gas pedal problems
By karen on 04/03/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased because of the cost and size along with good mileage. I have had 3 brake cylinders replaced in less than 1 year two of them on the same side and still my brakes are squeaky and at times making noises that I have never had before in any vehicle I have ever driven. They seem unwilling or unable to diagnose the real problem. I am very disatisfied with the car. Problems with the gas pedal sticking 1st thing in the morning and they are unable to find the problem with that as well. I'm unhappy with the car.

Best car I have ever owned!
By ilovemykiario5 on 11/03/07 22:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia for almost 2 years; got it for Christmas in 2005 and it is the best car I have ever owned. I love the way it handles, the gas mileage and the roomy interior is the best ever! The stereo system is fantastic, the a/c works great as well as the heater, and I really cannot find a single thing to complain about with this car! I love it so much that the lack of cruise control, electric windows and such do not even bother me! I would rather have the good basics this car has than all of the whistles and bells that everyone else finds so appealing!

Excellent
By white on 05/30/07 13:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving my Rio 5. It handles so well and the comfort is like a big SUV. I am truly glad that I made this purchase. Would definitely recommend to others. Only dislike is no cruise control.

still love the car
By 67mustang on 02/22/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in December of 05 brand new. i loved it right out the gate. The car has good turning radius and enough kick to get some speed out of the 110 horse power engine. And the fuel mileage is great - I can go to San Diego to Huntington Beach and back and back again to the beach on one tank! I put some custom rims on the car and it looks and feels great. Controls are easy and still in love with this car

Not what we expected.
By my3sheets on 01/31/07 11:46 AM (PST)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Brand new with 100000mi/10yr warranty...well we have 20,000 miles and already have taken it to the shop 6 times. 2 recalls,1 radio not working, 1 power steering pump thing, 2 for transmission, no acceleration (very dangerous problem) and this problem is acting up again. The availability of parts for the car has been a nightmare of rental cars. The gas mileage is great but I think the car may wear out before the warranty. Wife thinks the trunk is too small...but we could see that. Plus due to my credit we are paying a lot for the car (no choice) so I don't feel we are getting our monies worth! Strongly consider NOT buying this model.

Better than expected!
By jani on 10/10/06 13:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Kia Rio Wagon 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We were shopping for something a little bigger (Vibe, Matrix, Focus) but this little car suits us just fine for $5000 less. Our Rio5 5-speed takes us on 100 mile round trips at least twice a week, plus a few miles back and forth to work each week. It gets up to 70 with no problem, cruises at 75-80 comfortably. The shifting is a little stiff in reverse, but otherwise smooth.