Best Kept Secret on Highway
By jimbojjm on
2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I'm shocked at some reviewers complaint about poor gas mileage. I bought a 2013 EX with premium package two weeks ago and can't say enough good things about the car. It receives wow comments from passersby and I'm asked over and over again "How do I like it and how much does it cost?" I got mine for less than $24,000. Sound good to you? I average over 30 mpg in 50/50 city highway driving. When I drive at 65-75 on the hwy I at get about 37 mpg. If you want good mileage you have to learn to and use good green driving habits. There are plenty of articles on the internet on how to get the best mileage out of your car. This car looks great , drives nice, is comfortable and a bargain.
Favorite Features
Love the backup camera, all cars should have one. The adjustabiligy of the seat and the cockpit feel is really neat. I'm a tall 6' 1" and have no problems getting in and out and fitting comfortably. I've owned European, Japanese and American cars over more than 50 years and this KIA is at the top of the list
Suggested Improvements
Tires. The Nexen rubber is very inexpensive and needs to be be improved upon. The Koreans have really stepped up their automotive production and design skills, but their three tire manufacturers are a bit behind the power curve. When these wear out I'll replace the with Pirellis, Michelins or Dunlops.
By pdxann
on 05/12/13 23:07 PM (PDT)

I had a Prius 3 years so have a somewhat green foot as all us Prius Chat posters played the coast and drive game to see who obtained the best results. My mileage on my 2013 Optima EX is dreadful. I just commented to John from MN's more recent post about his similar exp. so won't write a novel; just say I have never obtained over 32 between PDX, OR and Seattle, WA straight highway 60 to 70 mostly flat. When the AC is on, 30 and when its summer ethanol and AD, 29 at best. In town only driving as work from home; 22 with AC and 24 without. Tried 3 different brands of gas and breaking in; no better at 10,000 miles. When the next large Prius model is introduced; going back.