Bad engine- Gas HOG! :(
By lynnedoe on
2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I bought my Optima in the fall of 2012. It has had engine work done 3 times. Kia refused to take the car back. Full engine was replaced on third trip in... Great looking car- but gas mileage is WAYYY lower then advertised. I got rid of my SUV to save money on gas. I'm now getting the same if not less mpg with this car. If I do not keep "ECO" option on I actually have gotten as low as just over 11 mpg. HORRIBLE. Not even a turbo... Can't say I'd recommend a Kia to anyone I know.
Favorite Features
Outside appearance. Seats are very comfortable. Roomy interior.
Suggested Improvements
Better engines, tell the truth about the gas mileage!!
By giantsfan58
on 02/03/13 18:03 PM (PST)

I agree 100% about the gas mileage. No matter how carefully you drive to try to coax the maximum MPG out of this car, the mileage is terrible. As bad as it is, the steering issue is even more troubling. Please do yourself a favor and do an Internet search for Kia Optima Steering Problems. You will be glad you did.

By funkball
on 03/08/13 08:36 AM (PST)

How are you calculating the mpg? Are you relying on the screen display to show avg mpg? Or are you filling up the tank and dividing by the miles driven between fill ups? I find the screen displays can be highly inaccurate, and if you're depending on it for your data, then you may be highly misled. Just make sure you're doing the math yourself based off a miles between a full tank fill up.