2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Best car I have ever owned
By sage69 on 03/26/13 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of my Jeep which now has 180,000 miles on it. It is my third Jeep. As an outside salesman I have driven over 1,000,000 miles in the past 30 years. And this is the most durable car I have ever driven. Besides still having the original brake pads with 40% of their life left, the only "repairs" so far have been a water pump, EGR valve and throttle position sensor. The 3 items were done at 170,000 miles. It took 60,000 miles just to break in the motor which uses not a drop of oil between regular oil changes every 5-6,000 miles. My car has every available option and NOT one thing has malfunctioned in 180,000 miles. You just can't go wrong with this car.

very poor design
By richardp71 on 02/09/12 16:43 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The door handles are built into the whole inside panel, and they are brittle. so we have a 05 limited with the HEMI 5.8L 2 door handle have broken, 3rd on way out. and looking at 700+ per door. 99% of cars have the handle seperate, why the heck they choice this design i dont know, but its poorly done. there was talk they were going to recall this online, but to thi date they havent and refuse to help with this. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love my jeep but not again
By sherry on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep used only a year old. I had no problems with it till 2008. I had to replace the blend door in it ($763) of course the warranty wouldn't take care of it. Last winter i went to start it and one of the rods popped off. (WOW) and again the warranty didn't pay. Now this year right before summer, AGAIN, the blend door breaks again, another ($763). My transmission will slip once in awhile so I'm sure that will be next. I have never had a car with this many BIG problems in such a short time. My gosh its only 5 years old.

Never Again
By Donna on 07/14/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car new 3/2005 12/2005-new mother board-under warranty 11/2006 esm assembly replacement, under warranty 7/2007, new key needed/failed $271.00 8/2007, multiple cylinder failure under warranty 6/2008 new battery $198.00 11/2008- replace electronic shift module $664.00 7/2009-replace turn signal assembly- $200.00 11/2009-failed emissions tcm $599.00 6/11/2010- replace a/c compressor & accummulator-$892.00 7/2010-engine failure light is on and going to dealer tom. Can you smell lemon? Knowing I will never, ever buy another Jeep or Chrysler product ever ever again. Pricelesssssssssss!

?
By LoveMyJeepie on 12/30/09 11:16 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my Jeep. I love how it drives, looks, and all the features. It has been my favorite car so far, BUT it has SO many problems!! The sunroof leaks, the dust cover around the shifter broke, windshield washer fluid squirter broke off, the button to open the back hatch glass broke, and it sounds like the transmission is having problems!! for only being 4 years old I had assumed i bought a lemon! Also it seems that there is hardly any room in the back seat.

No problem with Jeeps
By smartjeeplady on 04/30/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The first Jeep I had was a 1995 year model had it for 7 years and the only thing that went out on it was the air conditioning. Traded it for a Chrysler Pacifica. Loved the car but 6 months later a 17 year old ran a stop sign and totaled it. That is when I bought the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it as much as the first one. I was taught to keep up maintenance on cars by my Dad's example. I always go to our local Jeep dealer for maintenance. But I will say we bought the extended warranty because of the heavy use of the air conditioning system in Texas. My jeep is not 4WD but it performs well because of the 8 cylinder engine. We have had it for almost three years and still like it.

Forever Jeep
By HappyJeeper on 03/15/09 15:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a Jeep Laredo Cherokee '05. I bought it used with 18K already on it. I have owned it 3.5 years. Other than routine maintenance, I have not had to replace one part. At 46K, I even have the original brake pads. At the last brake inspection, my trusted mechanic said I may go to 50K or beyond on them. A year ago, I was rear ended by a hit and run driver, on one of the famous Massachusetts rotaries. In a smaller, foreign car I'm certain my car would have had some serious damage and I would have been sore or injured. Because, I was in my Jeep, I had no injuries and my car only had a few scratches, easily fixed with touch-up paint.

MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THE 05
By unhappy jeep girl on 12/26/08 22:21 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 06 with 23K miles on it. By 45K miles, I had to replace the transmission. At 60K I had to replace the starter, alternator, brake pads, rotors, and transmission again. 2 weeks later, the drive shaft and casings were all replaced. Now, at 75K I am looking to replace the drive shaft again and possibly a wheel baring. The service manager at a dealership told me that starting in 05 Jeep started "turning and burning them!" Doesn't exactly make you feel good about your purchase!!! Be very careful when buying a Jeep from 05 and on!

Modifications are Fun!
By LuckyAZ on 12/14/08 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have the 5.7L Hemi and have added a performance chip and cold air intake. This made the Jeep awesome off-road and fun in-town. I love going on the trails, and then beating performance sedans in town.

Junk that looks nice
By Tyler Cole on 04/22/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd JEEP GC Limited, and am not impressed. I had a 2003 GC Limited, and was not happy with the reliability. So I drove a Nissan for almost 3 years, and of course no problems. I decided I liked the HEMI power and looks of the new design, and assumed they would have made the reliability better, but in my case, it is worse. Starter went at 15,000 miles, 2 Stem Valve Sensors, Crankshaft Sensor, missing Radiator fluid, and now needs a new Manifold gasket at 30,000 miles. Today I traded it in on a new Toyota TRD Tacoma. I once again tried to support American cars, but I cannot afford to anymore, my time is money, and I spend most of it in the shop with a JEEP!