1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
The Best I've Ever Owned!
By Papi on 10/11/07 10:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I purchased this Jeep 3 years ago when it had about 70,000 miles. Before this Jeep I owned a '95 model. Today I've more than doubled the mileage (157,000) and I've tuned it up once, turned the rotors, replaced a radiator hose, and spent a minimal amount on the front end. (I've four wheeled a little and got air a few times... probably my fault.) Just routine maintenance. I expect to have this car until it drops. I would recommend this car to anyone... just make sure it's been maintained well. I use synthetic oil and Lucas additive.

The Truth and nothing but...
By GLamb on 09/12/07 19:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I inherited a '96 Cherokee in 2001 with 260,000 miles. Made many repairs to worn out parts but no faulty parts and unecessary towing bills with this vehicle. I ran it until it had 330,000 miles and then sold the vehicle for a surprising amount with many offers. At that time I purchased a '98 Cherokee with only 98,000 miles. It has treated almost as well as my first Jeep, but they just don't build like they use to. Well actually they don't build them at all anymore, but I suppose that's because the Wrangler got all the attention.

Wish Jeep still made this vehicle
By Dyscrasy on 06/21/07 19:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I sold my Jeep Wrangler because I got tired of messing with the tops, and bought my Cherokee used, in perfect shape. I take it camping annually. ItÂ’s great on back roads, or no roads. I've taken him through streams, sand, on slick rock, over sagebrush and rocks, ditches and snow. It holds all my gear with room for me to sleep in it. Mine is a white Limited model, so it looks classy, but I bring it back covered in dust, mud and bugs. Great sound system, comfortable, powerful, great turning radius, great ground clearance. A perfect car for all purposes. The only thing I don't like is my back road and expressway combined trips average only 15mpg, not too good, but not bad enough to sell it!

Mixed bag
By spikester on 03/24/07 19:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

This is the second Jeep 4.0 motor vehicle that I have owned. This version is the high output version (approximately 190 hp). I bought this used and specifically wanted the "sport" version for its increased off-road ability. These small Cherokees are very reliable. A bit snug inside - the rear seat isn't made for adult Americans. Gas mileage is about 16 combined which isn't bad for a 4x4 with a/c and auto trans. Rides too stiff for the wife. The price you pay for the "sport" suspension. No cruise control either.

A little beast
By Mario on 01/19/07 08:49 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Jeep with 87,000 miles on it two years ago, now it has 97,000. All I have done on it is replace the AC unit that comes inside of the dashboard (which was broken when I bought it). That was $600. I keep it completely standard and I just love it! it has the tough SUV looks from the outside but once you get in, you have the leather, heated and powered seats, powered windows and locks, the wood trim dashboard and so on. The 4.0L six cylinder in line engine is awesome; sometimes, when standing on a red light if a little so called "fast car" pulls next to me, they don't expect the quick response of the Jeep and I leave them thinking I got "something extra" in it.

True Sport Utility
By Scooter on 12/18/06 11:38 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one rugged SUV. Utility is the key word here. I take this thing off road, on 3000 mile road trips, to the grocery store, lumber yard, skiing, hunting, fishing, tailgating. It has 120,000 miles and starts instantly. Goes off road like a warrior and has a classic look. I took two 6 footers, all our hunting gear for a week, with a roof and tongue rack. I tow the snowmobiles with this. All that and it parks easy, is good around town. I needed a reliable rugged vehicle. The rear defroster is out, the fog lights are short circuited, but she starts, clips in 4x4, and everything else works. If WWIII breaks out, this is the vehicle you want.

Boy do I love my Jeep Cherokee!
By leigh on 11/30/06 14:02 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Best used car I ever owned after 25 years of driving. Zero maintenance vehicle, fun to drive steady, easy to handle, stable on all kinds of roads.

Just What I Need
By Bradley Mullins on 05/18/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

This is my first vehicle, and a great one at that. I drive a lot, and I usually get about 22 MPG with it. I can use it for hauling my friends or my "stuff" around. It was built tough; I rolled it last July, but had it repaired and it looks and drives like new again. A couple of things have been replaced, such as the tires, spark plugs, clock spring, and brakes. I bought it at 83,000 miles, and at 142,000 it's still going strong. Great vehicle!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Tom Jones on 04/28/06 21:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned. I-6 engine is bulletproof. Only thing it's ever needed is oil change every 3K. Just ticked over 153K and still runs like it did the day I bought it. Replaced clutch throwout bearing at 130K. Replaced brake rotors at same time. Otherwise it's needed nothing but oil, tires, plugs, and brake pads. Back seat is small for adults due to wheel wells. Off-road performance is absolutely great. Turn radius is very tight, making it easy to drive in town and park. Easy to work on, although it's never needed it other than the clutch. My only regret is that Jeep doesn't make them anymore.

Jeep Cherokee
By Waysco on 04/11/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been everything we could have imagined and more, and she still has a lot to offer. One of the best 4x4's we have ever owned. It would go through snow and ice like it was dry roadway. The Best.