1997 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Love it, can't find anything b

1997 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Sport 2dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Love it, can't find anything better
By CCoccia on

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this Jeep for 11 yrs. No other vehicle I have had will cruise at 80 on the interstate, then take the extreme trails in the OHV park like they were nothing. I bought a Mini Cooper and it's a good thing I kept the Jeep-way more dependable and a lot cheaper to fix than the Mini. I've hauled building materials, pulled out chain-link fencing and stumps, still on the original clutch at 126,000 miles. It has never left me on the side of the road or refused to start. All I have had to do is routine maintenance, lube oil and filter, brakes (once), and a water pump. I've decided to put some money into paint and new carpet etc. and just keep driving it.

The inline six has tons of torque and horsepower. My Jeep has the Up Country package so it is an animal off road

I think the A/C evaporator is the weak link in the system, and sooner or later I will tackle replacement which is a serious job.