My "Beater with a heater"
By quagmire86 on
1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV
I bought this rig that ran but had an overheating problem. Previous owner said the water pump was bad. I paid $600 for it cuz it was in poor shape. I replaced the water pump and timing belt but it still overheated. Common problem with the Rodeo (3.2L)V6 were bad head gaskets. Since it was a project vehicle, I had time to work on it. I spent many weeks going from head to tail repairing/replacing issues with it. The SUV is somewhat unrefined (due to age) but I love driving it. Major issues with this car is the frame rusts out from rear axle back and is a recall/safety issue. I love my Rodeo and though I don't "Off-Road" with it, it is great even with 206,000 miles on it. Love it!
Favorite Features
Body styling, push-button/on the fly 4 wheel drive, lay flat rear seats for tons of storage, Vintage truck ride, Decent gas mileage (as compared to my Chevy Silverado 2500 with 6.0L engine), four door to store groceries and install a baby seat for grandson. Multi-speed intermittent wipers.
Suggested Improvements
Since it is out of production, it is a moot point but the interior (courtesy lighting) really leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of road noise (but I should have put that in the favorite features). Give "Joe Isuzu" his own reality show. Definitely a "Galvanized" frame because the rear end is very compromised due to road salt in the northern climates.