6 month review
By njvtec on
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
We replaced my wife's Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition with two VW Touaregs. Although the Touaregs are built on the same chassis they are worlds apart and we were very disappointed by the Touaregs and specifically the support or lack there of from the manufactures and dealers. With two children under the age of two we decided to look at minivans. Having owned and raced a number of Hondas over the years I didn't have to look much further then the Odyssey. We ended up leasing a new 2012 Odyssey (at a great rate thanks to Honda's great residual value). The Odyssey is a brilliant choice for anyone with children. Maybe it's not as "cool" as a luxury SUV but it is way more practical.
Favorite Features
Hands down the economy of the Odyssey is most noticeable difference, coming out of luxury SUVs. The vehicle feels as though it has almost no drivetrain lag at times and could cost forever. It helps make for a super smooth ride. I have been attaining 20-23 mpg around town and 28 mpg on long trips. I cruse at about 80 mph, I am sure if i slowed down a little that I could attain 30+mpg highway. The versatility of the Odyssey just cant be matched in any other segment. We can haul lots of people and gear with ease and it's easy to drive regardless of how loaded up it is. The audio system has nice features such as bluetooth phone, and satellite radio.
Suggested Improvements
One of the most disappointing things about the vehicle is the interior fit and finish. I know that it's not a Porsche but the extensive use of plastic and the loose feel of the materials makes one feel as though they are in an American car (fleet car feel). The stature of the vehicle makes it very susceptible to being pushed around by wind while on the highway. One of my biggest complaints is the noise, it's not something that makes the vehicle unpleasant to drive, but there is a lot or road noise picked up, especially from the front struts. I am thinking about adding some Dynamat to see if that helps at all. The noise issue also draws attention to the under powered 7 speaker stereo.