Used 2011 Honda Insight Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Basic down to earth hybrid
By readykilowatt

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2010 insight for three years and have 37,000 miles on it.
The professional reviews are right in that it is a lot like the early Japanese cars that were on the market in the 70's which were very reliable but very basic in design.
If you want a reliable small cars for commuting back and forth, it is a great purchase.
We use it to go back and forth to town and it gets us about 50 mpg as it seems to love going about 50 mph.
Yes it rides a little hard and is short on sound insulation but for what we use it for, it's ideal.
I wouldn't use it for a long drive though.
We'll be passing it on to the children and probably getting another the last year of production.

Very low initial cost, great mileage, dependable, nice body style.

Updated 3 year review.
By mattwc1

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my base 2011 Insight to replace a very nice 2009 Rav4. It has in over 1000 miles already saved fuel costs by 1/2.

June 2016:

So far the only maintenance items I have had to do is oil changes (approx 8-10K miles. I follow the maintenance minder on the car. I still do CVT fluid changes approx every 2nd oil change (about every 20k), (1) interior air filter and (1) air filter. That is it. I did change my stock steel wheels to a used set of alloy wheels (with better Michelin tires) about 30k ago. I felt the Michelins handle a lot better with little or neglible impact on mpg . My car has nearly 70K trouble free miles and I average between 45-50mpg on my commute.

Pros:
Regularly exceeds EPA mpg
Quite and reliable
Excellent used car value

Cons:
lack of center armrest on base model
real window visibility
Paint chips easily

Better car than it looks on paper
By mike579

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do a 40 mile highway commute on weekdays and some city driving on weekends. By my own calculations, I get an honest 50 miles per gallon. The dashboard readouts give you the information you need to modify your driving style to maximize MPG. I see people complain about a noisy car, but that's not my experience. It's quiet on the freeway. It will get noisy on a rough roads or if you stomp on the gas pedal. The interior is a little plasticy, but it still looks clean and functional. Because of the car styling, the car has larger blind spots than I would like.

Gas mileage is better than expected, car feels solid and well-made, styling is good.

Reduce the blind spots around the car. Another 2-3 MPG would be great!

Great car
By jakata

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Insight for a week now and I'm very pleased. Very comfortable, I don't notice much road noise as mentioned in the Edmund review. Although it's a very small car it has a excellent ride and feel of a much larger car. I'm getting 45 mpg with air on all the time. I love it's looks and feel. After researching every car out there I feel I made an excellent decision.

Gas mileage, display, adjustable seat and steering wheel.

More storage on base model, cruise on base model.

Honda Insight Base
By steve190

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun car for the money, yeah you won't win any races with it but that is not what it was designed for. If you are looking for a car that is reasonably fun to drive and great on gas if you drive it right check out the Insight. You can do better on mileage with the Prius but you will also pay more for it and in my opinion the Honda drives and handles much better. Try them both and decide for yourself. Excellent value for a hybrid! Loving it so far!

Gas Mileage, and gauges that help you become a better driver.

Make cruise and center armrest stardard on all models.