Used 2011 Honda Insight Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Basic down to earth hybrid
By readykilowatt

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2010 insight for three years and have 37,000 miles on it. The professional reviews are right in that it is a lot like the early Japanese cars that were on the market in the 70's which were very reliable but very basic in design. If you want a reliable small cars for commuting back and forth, it is a great purchase. We use it to go back and forth to town and it gets us about 50 mpg as it seems to love going about 50 mph. Yes it rides a little hard and is short on sound insulation but for what we use it for, it's ideal. I wouldn't use it for a long drive though. We'll be passing it on to the children and probably getting another the last year of production.

Favorite Features

Very low initial cost, great mileage, dependable, nice body style.

One month review
By mattwc1

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, many hybrid owners get a bad (yet well deserved) rap of being," holier than thou" when it comes to the environmental impact of their cars. Let's dismiss some myths. Hybrids Do NOT save the world or the environment (one look at mining practices for the metals to make up the various batteries will easily disprove that) . Sorry to dash the hopes of the misinformed. Hybrids DO help in saving significant amounts in your fuel expenditures. More importantly, hybrids do allow the user to save fuel while still being able to use the existing infrastructure. (rant off) I bought my base 2011 Insight to replace a very nice 2009 Rav4. It has in over 1000 miles already saved fuel costs by 1/2.

Favorite Features

*Very quiet and surprisingly roomy for a compact hatchback *In a 80/20% mix of highway/local commuting, I have averaged well over 47mpg. Hitting in the low 50s last week. Easily surpasses the EPA numbers. *Seats 4 quite well, my teen twin daughters do not complain sitting in the back *CVT works well in this application.

Suggested Improvements

The inevitable comparisons to Toyota Prius will rear its head. The Prius can travel further on battery power alone is is larger than the Insight. The Insight is lighter and uses a smaller battery pack. The new Prius C is a more direct competiot in terms of price and features. Not just the Insight, but most Hondas trail the competition in terms of connectivity/telemetics. Paint is typical Honda poor quality (both Toyota/Honda are awful in this respect) Not the fault of this model, but I would like cruise control on my next model.

Better car than it looks on paper
By mike579

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I do a 40 mile highway commute on weekdays and some city driving on weekends. By my own calculations, I get an honest 50 miles per gallon. The dashboard readouts give you the information you need to modify your driving style to maximize MPG. I see people complain about a noisy car, but that's not my experience. It's quiet on the freeway. It will get noisy on a rough roads or if you stomp on the gas pedal. The interior is a little plasticy, but it still looks clean and functional. Because of the car styling, the car has larger blind spots than I would like.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is better than expected, car feels solid and well-made, styling is good.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the blind spots around the car. Another 2-3 MPG would be great!

Great car
By jakata

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Insight for a week now and I'm very pleased. Very comfortable, I don't notice much road noise as mentioned in the Edmund review. Although it's a very small car it has a excellent ride and feel of a much larger car. I'm getting 45 mpg with air on all the time. I love it's looks and feel. After researching every car out there I feel I made an excellent decision.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, display, adjustable seat and steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More storage on base model, cruise on base model.

Honda Insight Base
By steve190

2011 Honda Insight Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun car for the money, yeah you won't win any races with it but that is not what it was designed for. If you are looking for a car that is reasonably fun to drive and great on gas if you drive it right check out the Insight. You can do better on mileage with the Prius but you will also pay more for it and in my opinion the Honda drives and handles much better. Try them both and decide for yourself. Excellent value for a hybrid! Loving it so far!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, and gauges that help you become a better driver.

Suggested Improvements

Make cruise and center armrest stardard on all models.