2002 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
11 years later
By preble on 07/05/13 13:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this new in 2002. After 11 years, we have had so few problems. I live in constant fear of the A/C compressor exploding, but that is about it. Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle for our Golden Retrievers.Recently looked at the new Crv's, and they seem much less spacious. Won't ever trade this in. Ever

FANTASTIC VEHICLE!!
By tlccar1 on 05/19/12 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying is any vehicle perfect? No. But this CR-V comes close. It is very roomy, fun to drive, gets decent mileage (22 mpg all the time) for an SUV and is as reliable as can be. It is great in the snow and gives a firm but comfortable ride. We replaced an Accord wagon that was loved but this CR-V has surpassed our expectations. If you want reliable transportation wrapped in good looks and comfort, the CR-V is the way to go.

Great car
By ozolinsh on 05/17/12 10:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this 2002 Honda CRV only since '08 but it is now at 181,000 KM and it is still a smooth ride. In interior comfort is very good and being a tall person I fit in it just fine. The cargo space is great and with the rear seats folded over I can transport a surprising amount of stuff (moves done with this). The engine is strong and it accelerates nicely even with 4 people in the CRV. The downside is the gas mileage, not as good as an Accord of similar vintage and engine size but the AWD does have a rear-differential so you must expect that feature will affect mileage in any truck.

Not so reliable
By colibri1 on 08/08/11 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this Honda (first and last one) used with 88,000 km and a little warranty left. Noticed that it consumed about 1 liter of oil every 3000 km. Took it to the dealer - he said it is normal for Hondas (????) At 112,000 km had to replace engine. Luckily air conditioning is working fine. Not happy. Not the greatest gas mileage either. Very noisy on the highway - can not hear radio clearly. Will never buy Honda again.

It's Been a Great Ride!
By bluebugmama on 07/19/11 07:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and have 138K on it now. Has been a great car, very few problems. Driver's door window motor broke, and both rear brake calipers froze up around 75K, but other than that no problems. Great in the snow, comfortable, definitely not a luxury vehicle but love all the room and versatility. It handles like a little go cart...not tippy like some SUV's.

Not sure i should have bought it
By jess on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well I traded in a Toyota 4runner 1994 for this since I bought it I had to have the a o2sensor and a catalytic converter and a 3rd gear throttle sensor and has a small oil leak road noise why why I have not even had it a year the interior scratches easy I had my Toyota with 108,000 and did not do anything for 3 years on it never a Honda again

Worked for me for 8 years
By AJA on 07/27/10 11:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for 8 years and recently decided to upgrade to a Pilot. Over the course of that time, I only had some minor issues with recalls. Other than that, I changed the oil regularly and kept the tires inflated. Cabin noise was awful, though, especially when it rained. The car was under- powered, which was a shame. Gas mileage was good, which was appreciated when gas prices went through the roof.

Great mpg, excellent handling, reliable
By clg22 on 06/24/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 in 2005 with 40K on it and we have been very pleased. Seating is very comfortable on long trips and cargo space and versatility is excellent. Gas mileage of a car, but high like an SUV - great compromise. Nice pep when needed. Great in the snow (the Rav4 was awful). No major repairs at all yet! We have had the break pads replaced, the tires replaced, and all the other regular maintenance. No problems with AC as others have mentioned. We've been very pleased with this car and would buy again.

Keeps on Truckin'
By HondaForever on 06/13/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my CR-V new and it has been outstanding. It just received 210,000 mile maintenance. Two minor repairs and scheduled maintenance only. It still looks and drives great. I would not hesitate to take off anywhere in it. Averages 26 MPG. My only issue is my neighbor wants to buy it and I feel bad because I'm not giving this one up!

Satisfy with CRV
By Thrifty Buyer on 04/11/10 00:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought this car with 62,000 mi. Of course, the dealer offered an extended warranty which I refused. It's a Honda right? So,forget it. About six months later engine light was on, and the mechanic said it was the throttle body. Really? Never replaced one of these. I took the car to the dealer to confirm but, Honda corp ageed to replace the part. Honda paid for the part ($800), and I paid for labor. The AC compressor went out at 90,000 mi. My mechanic told me there is a problem with the compressor on these cars (depending on where the part came from) Again, Honda split the cost. Overall, I love my car. I have over 102,000, and have only replaced the brake pads. Love Honda.