2012 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Should not have strayed from Honda
By tamie45 on 08/24/14 20:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I started out the summer with a pre-owned 2013 Ford Focus SE. I was swayed into buying the Focus because of all the great tech and the quality interior. Unfortunately, all the comforts in the world could not make up for the awful DCT. Two months into owning the Focus I decided that I needed to trade it away as soon as possible. I went with a pre-owned 2012 Civic with 22,000 miles on it. I could not be more happy with my decision!! I first felt that the interior was a downgrade to the Focus until I actually drove the car for a while and found it to actually be much better in all respects save for the hard plastics. The smooth driving experience is much better than the Focus!

2012 Civic Sedan EX-L Still running great.
By martin13 on 06/10/14 15:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Civic with 9k mile on it. Was concerned because I had no idea what may have happened with the original owner. Did he unload the car because of problems (I don't trust Carfax)? So now the car has 30k and has been very reliable, fun to drive, and very economical. Just came back from road trip to North Carolina - cruise control most of the way at 50-65 mph (I know, very slow, I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere) gave me 44 mpg. Usually I get 37+ while driving at speeds 70+ mph and no cruise control use. Car had a little rattle coming from the rear that was eliminated under warranty (seat belt mechanism was the source). Otherwise, not a problem whatsoever (knock on wood).

Honda Fan
By watersonclan on 03/03/14 18:11 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my sixth Honda in 30 years. I researched what I wanted very carefully and decided on the smaller fuel efficient Civic for commuting back and forth to work. With gasoline prices continuing to inch up, this is the best model available without having to go to a hybrid. I have put 1,200 miles on my car,so far and am happy to say I am getting an average of 42 mpg on a tank of gas. I am very happy with my purchase and after shopping at every dealership in the Inland Empire, I was glad to finally find a reputable dealership in Pasadena who did not try to play games or sell me something I didn't want.

Great Car
By tedert on 01/07/14 07:55 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2012 Honda Civic for approximately 7 months now and I love it. I get around 27mpg and anywhere from 35-42 on the freeway. Like most people have said, you know what you're buying with a civic. It doesn't have the flash of a Mercedes or the quiet road noise of a Cadillac but this car is definitely worth every dollar. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and the vehicle fits me comfortably. I traded in my 2010 Accord for this vehicle and barely notice the interior size different. Bottom line, I would recommend this car to anyone.

No odometer
By softailguy on 08/27/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Civic LX in July 2012. It now has about 19,000 miles on it. It does well on gas but I think the fuel guage is inaccurate. It supposedly has a 13 gallon tank yet even when I'm on E and the range says 9 miles I am never able to put more than 10 gallons in it. And then today I left work and noticed I had no odometer display, no maintenance minder info, no fuel mpg info or range info. It just disappeared from the menu. So now I have no way of knowing what my mileage is or when to change my oil. This is my first Honda after driving Hyundai Elantras for 15 years. I should have stuck with Hyundai. Better car for less money.

Things I didn't think about FIRST
By schoolsh33 on 07/13/13 10:50 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had 96 Civic & 98Accord. Bought 2012 Civic 4 door stick shift in May 2011. I've always loved stick for the pickup & gas mileage. Big problems with this car. 1) NO pickup at all. It's embarrassing at a light with even slight incline & people are on your butt & go around u because it takes forever to get up to speed. If AC is on forget it, u have to turn it off until u get to speed. 2) Visibility sucks. There is a thick separator where side mirrors are making window 2 sections creating major blind spots 3) My kids can't have back window down, it causes this vibrating wind sound that hurts your ears. So, things I never thought about have made me unhappy with this car & I'm trading it in

Don't buy a hybrid, get this car!
By brock69 on 06/24/13 12:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Driving from Cincinnati, OH to Gatlinburg, TN this past weekend we averaged 41 MPG while having the sunroof open fully and all the windows open about 2 inches. From there we continued through the App. Mountains to Greenville, SC and averaged 43 MPG with the AC running and we were not doing anything crazy like turning off the motor. I remember the sticker saying this car was rated at 39. We averaged about 73 MPH the whole way in mild to medium traffic. We bought this car with 9000 miles on it for $17,000 and have added 16,000 miles in 6 Months. No expensive or dangerous batteries to mess with and we can turn the ECON button off whenever we want to get more juice.

Overall, a happy owner...minus a few complaints.
By kruizer on 05/14/13 06:57 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2012 Civic LX Sedan in Dec. 2011 as a commuter car and have put about 17K miles on it. Like most have mentioned, the road noise is present and the sound system is not up to par. My biggest complaint is the shifter/transmission (auto) tends to vibrate while accelerating quickly. Pulling out in traffic can be a bit dangerous too, if you forget the ECON button is on. That being said, overall, my wife and I are very satisfied with our Civic. The legroom is plentiful for this size car. The fuel economy is great (~32 in City). And the displays are very easily read.

So far so good
By montrealcivic on 02/10/13 16:49 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving a Civic for years. This is my third consecutive new Civic. Previous models were the 98 and 05. Unfortunately this model has impressed me less than the 05. I am 5 foot 11 and often hit my head getting out of the car. They seem to have decreased the cavity opening by 1-2 inches. The carpeting is not really carpet - more akin to a dish scrub brush. This was easily fixed by adding the rubber mats with the protection package. The dash is one huge mass of not so pretty plastic. The plastic on the prior models at least resembled the texture of leather. I find visibility reduced with the long window frame pillars. The good points help reduce the negatives however.

It speaks for itself
By jes2ag on 12/12/12 07:12 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Honda's have always been known for their reliability, when you take care of it, it will take care of you... I love my Honda! This car has a great looking interior and exterior regardless of other opinions, people are just snobby! The gas milage is amazing, and the eco option makes it even better. The trunk is not small, unless those who are complaining want to fit a few bodies into it, lol. Everything about this car is wonderful. I would suggest it to anyone looking for a reliable car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Civic Sedan in VA is:

$133 per month*