Used 2012 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable, Solid Transportation.
By richssss

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I really just wanted something that got great gas mileage and was a car that will last me for years. I HATE car shopping! My reason for selecting a Honda was my last car was a CR-V that had 324,000 when I traded it in.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is at the gas pump! Lots of city driving, especially in cold weather, 28 MPG. Highway driving in warmer weather, 41MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing that annoys me is I'm 5'8", and cannot see the front end of the car from the driver's seat. I have the seat raised, but cannot even see the hood, so parking in a tight spot is a leap of faith. And being a small car, the ride leaves something to be desired.

Why do people buy GM when they can get civic for the same price?
By bergolive

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wonder why people buy GMs, fords and chryslers when they can get a Civic. As far as reliability goes, I think there is enough data out there to prove that Civics are way better than most American cars. Same thing for resale value. I read somewhere that there is more American content in a Civic than in a Cruze. I don't know of this is true, but I know Civics are built in America! Anyhow, I had an Aries K when I was student and this was a constant problem (when it would start). When the engine blew up, I bought a Civic and have always been satisfied since. I drove all four of them up to about 160 000 Mi without any major trouble and managed to get a good trade-in value every single time.

Favorite Features

Just a good reliable car. No more fun to drive than any comparable car, just extremely reliable.

Should not have strayed from Honda
By tamie45

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I started out the summer with a pre-owned 2013 Ford Focus SE. I was swayed into buying the Focus because of all the great tech and the quality interior. Unfortunately, all the comforts in the world could not make up for the awful DCT. Two months into owning the Focus I decided that I needed to trade it away as soon as possible. I went with a pre-owned 2012 Civic with 22,000 miles on it. I could not be more happy with my decision!! I first felt that the interior was a downgrade to the Focus until I actually drove the car for a while and found it to actually be much better in all respects save for the hard plastics. The smooth driving experience is much better than the Focus!

Favorite Features

Eco button to save gas, easily turned off to boost power. It is a very smooth car and makes my commute actually something I want to do just to drive this car! It runs circles around the newer, more technical Focus in almost all possible ways. I love the two-tier dash with the driver feedback lights. I also love the design of the infotainment system and is very easy to use. The maintenance minder should also prove very useful. There is also far more leg room in the back seating area as opposed to the Focus. I ended up losing money because I traded the Focus so soon, but it was worth every penny!!!

Suggested Improvements

This is trivial, but I would like to have more choices when using the intermittent wipers. The look of the interior plastics also put me off at first. I can say now however that after driving one of the "best-in-class" Ford Focuses and then "downgrading" to the Civic that those are trivial points and I would recommend the Civic to anyone!

2012 Civic Sedan EX-L Still running great.
By martin13

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought my Civic with 9k mile on it. Was concerned because I had no idea what may have happened with the original owner. Did he unload the car because of problems (I don't trust Carfax)? So now the car has 30k and has been very reliable, fun to drive, and very economical. Just came back from road trip to North Carolina - cruise control most of the way at 50-65 mph (I know, very slow, I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere) gave me 44 mpg. Usually I get 37+ while driving at speeds 70+ mph and no cruise control use. Car had a little rattle coming from the rear that was eliminated under warranty (seat belt mechanism was the source). Otherwise, not a problem whatsoever (knock on wood).

Favorite Features

MPG getting above 40+ mpg for non-hybrid vehicle is unbelievable for me. I use the NAV system a lot and really appreciate having it. It has saved me several time when in new areas of my city.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise seems higher than more luxurious cars - more insulation to reduce noise would give the car a better quality feel.

Honda Fan
By watersonclan

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my sixth Honda in 30 years. I researched what I wanted very carefully and decided on the smaller fuel efficient Civic for commuting back and forth to work. With gasoline prices continuing to inch up, this is the best model available without having to go to a hybrid. I have put 1,200 miles on my car,so far and am happy to say I am getting an average of 42 mpg on a tank of gas. I am very happy with my purchase and after shopping at every dealership in the Inland Empire, I was glad to finally find a reputable dealership in Pasadena who did not try to play games or sell me something I didn't want.

Favorite Features

I really like the display that changes color as you drive and lets you know what kind of mileage you are getting. It gas forced me to change my driving habits. I also like that I can plug in a jump drive and listen to hours of my favorite tunes with a simple touch of the controls located on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the shape and location of the headrest. I am small and even with the headrest in the lowest position, it hits me in the back of the head and is uncomfortable. I gave tried to adjust the seat and steering wheel to different positions and gave found one that is okay, not comfortable, but satisfactory.