Used 1996 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

New owner of a seasoned red DX cpe 5-spd
By coastie_in_va

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I'd looked for a reliable gas sipper to give my Tacoma a rest and found a retired nurse selling her car. So, for $1,600 I had my civic with only 89,8XX miles! Yes, I know. So with some small parts from the junkyard, brakes, new tires, a little body work, paint job, and new timing belt/water pump I have my jewel. If I didn't have a car in the garage, I'd keep this one in it and only take it out in good weather, lol. So, great car for running around the DC area. If you can find one in good shape go for it!

Reliabiity, value, & mileage.

N/A

Honda's Best
By cvilla

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I bought it in 1999 used with over 60K miles. People laughed and thought I got ripped off! $8000 for a car with high mileage then. The years of gas at $3.75 came and those same people could not afford to go to the beach like I could because their BIG trucks used too much gas. Now 2009, the car has 221000 miles and still shows no signs of quitting. I didn't do all those scheduled maintenance. I haven't even changed the timing chain/belt. Just oil/ air filters, breaks and fluids! Oh and I had to replace CV boots. That's all. BEST car I've owned, and I've owned plenty. Audi,BMW, Mustang, Chevys, VW, Renault, Bronco etc. Honda could take a lesson from its past and redo it!

Long life. Great fuel economy. Easy to do many of the repairs and maintenance.

Interior does not last as well as the mechanical aspects of the car. Lacks power and comfort but I understand that it was not intended for that. HONDA should erect statues for the men and women who designed this Autmotive GEM! Bring it back again OLD SCHOOL style! Newer cars don't compare.

40 mpg
By BPM, Maine

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great point A to B car, excellent for city driving. The 96-00 Civics are some of the best used cars around. Inexpensive to own (purchase price, Ins. cost, repair, fuel etc.). ***The SOHC engines can be prone to connecting rod bearing failure at high mileage.***

Fuel mileage can exceed 40 mpg.

Road noise. Braking system is not the greatest, 4 wheel disc brakes would have been better.

No Car payment
By Arthur Harts

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I've owned 3 other Honda civics. Nothing beats the 1996. It's a tank and keeps on going no matter what goes wrong with it.

No power windows, no power door locks, no keyless entry, which equals more money in my pocket.

None that I know of.

LOVE my Civic
By Susan Rowland

1996 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This Civic is a great little car. Reliable. fuel efficient, well mannered, and likable. I can't rate it highly enough.

Goes and goes and goes, and just needs its regular services.

Something prettier than gray interior would be nice.