2014 Honda Accord EX-L review
By stockdox on
2014 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I admit, I was a little bit reluctant to buy the V6 model Accord due to the negative press and some negative remarks on some chat boards. I really hope that Honda has really fixed the issues with VCM technology because it is quite amazing to get nearly the same gas mileage of the 4 Cylinder with the performance of the 6. I can tell you right now that my gas mileage is better than advertised. The car is packed with useful technology such as the side view camera and Collision avoidance and Lane Watch. The car is smooth and powerful. On balance, I am very happy with my choice. VCM is not perfect I notice the switch from 3 Cylinder mode to 6 more so then the reverse.
Favorite Features
VCM technology while not perfect, is giving me amazing gas mileage for a v6. I can easily exceed 35 on the highway at legal speeds. I am getting around 25 in town. This is outstanding. Love the side view mirror. This is extremely useful in saving me from near misses in high traffic situations. Collision Avoidance alarm and light is useful in situations where momentary distraction can cause a collision. The seats are firm yet comfortable. Rear seats have plenty of space. I absolutely love the fit and feel of the seats. The finish quality of this car is very high. This has the look and feel of being a very solid car. Powerful smooth V6 motor
Suggested Improvements
Honda needs to do more work on VCM. It seems to me that the switch from 3 cylinder mode to 6 Cylinder is rough. I would say it is akin to a rough shifting transmission when it happens. Particularly under hard acceleration. Honda might consider a way to switch VCM off for certain performance situations. I love the fuel savings of it but they need to put a little more work into it. I can say that while the ride can't really be called rough, it isn't exactly super soft either. I am used to tightly sprung cars so it doesn't bother me but some might think the ride is a bit harsh for a family sedan.