2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Review: Gotta Love It

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid - Consumer Review

Gotta Love It
By newhopian on

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I registered ~2800 miles on my 2014 Accord Hybrid Touring, and I gotta love it! I had to learn how to maximize mpg, which is my focus in this review. First, my hybrid starts with lower mpg on every trip and builds as I drive. Best mpg requires about 10 miles of mixed driving (or longer on the highway). Second, one is not rewarded for slow acceleration (in EV mode). This drains battery power, and reduces the number of miles driven in EV mode. Best mileage (51 mpg average this month, 48.5 overall) comes from accelerating quickly enough to engage the gas engine and easing back to EV mode once you have reached cruising speed. Slow deceleration is always rewarded, as is downhill battery charging.

- Excellent mileage (after I figured out how best to accelerate and decelerate) - Quick acceleration when I need it - Premium interior that feels more luxurious than the price tag suggests - Quiet ride (especially vs. my 2008 Accord V6!) - Tires are grippier than I thought they would be - Large screen for the GPS with easy zoom in and out with the twist of a knob (make sure the radio is turned on when entering addresses to gain the keyboard function) - Automatic seats that recognize the dirver based on which key is present when opening the door - Adaptive cruise control with variable distance settings - Air conditioner does not seem to impact mpg (see heater in improvements section)

- Electric heater could improve mpg vs. running the gas engine in the current model - Allow one to select between BlueTooth devices connected to the stereo (need to turn off the radio on my iPhone so my daughter can play her music) - Automatic braking for collision avoidance - I don't know how to fix this - better mileage when NOT using the adaptive cruise control
By newhopian
on 06/04/14 07:20 AM (PDT)

The final comment on mpg with the cruise control on references lower mpg when the ACC is active and better mpg when the driver is controlling speed.

By newhopian
on 01/15/15 14:40 PM (PST)

I was asked if there is anything that I dislike about this car, and the answer is yes for minor issues. First, the navigation menu does not open when "Not on a digitized road" while driving. Second, my iPhone cannot connect to the Bluetooth if previously connected to the USB port. You have to unplug it, connect the Bluetooth, then replug into the USB. Third, if somebody other than me wants to play music via Bluetooth, then I have to switch it off on my iPhone. Fourth and last, I fear getting a flat tire and not having a spare (has run-flat tires). These four things are minor inconveniences (well, babe the tire could be a bigger one), and they would not prevent me from buying this same car again. They also would not prevent me from recommending the Accord hybrid to a friend.