Used 1997 GMC Yukon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Gmc Yukon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:

Not bad, but some major mechanical issues.....
By tubby423

1997 GMC Yukon SLE 2dr SUV 4WD

We have done a LOT of driving in this vehicle. We purchased it about 3 years ago at 107000 miles. I knew that this model was prone to transmission and fuel pump issues when I bought it so that was no surprise when it happened. True to form we did both at about 120000 miles. We did the fuel pump AGAIN at about 160000 miles. We did a radiator & steering box shortly after purchase as well. The interior is ok. The seats aren't nearly as comfortable as the Expedition we own. It has a lot of room and can carry a lot gear. All in all it's not a BAD vehicle, but I didn't buy another one if that tells you anything...

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, better suspension

Great truck!
By JustinS

1997 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

The truck has plenty of room for my wife and 3 kids and all our luggage or groceries. Only complaint is the brakes seem to go quickly.

Favorite Features

Room and plenty of it.

Suggested Improvements

Make it with an aux gas tank.

Snow Buster
By Phil

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When it comes to going through the deep snow, this vehicle performs with the best of them(providing your tires aren't bald). Out on the winter lakes in Wisconsin, your mind is put at ease that your in a Yukon!(see You Tube and search for an Eaton G80) It's comfortable, solid, has sufficient power. Drives like the first day it was purchased. I pull a boat and supply trailer with no problems. I have replaced the fuel pump, repaired the intake gasket @ 60K miles(costly), replaced drivers side door internal linkage, and air conditioner components (condenser, compressor, misc.). The gas mileage isn't great (12/17), but when your out driving in the wicked weather, you realize its money well spent.

Favorite Features

Well put together(solid)almost like a rock? Yes, I would purchase again. I opted to upgrade the tires to Michelin ltx m/s 265/75/16. money was well spent.

Suggested Improvements

GM should issue a notice of the common intake problems so consumer can look for it by watching the coolant level before it gets too late! Most leak externally, mine leaked internally (nothing visual to see). It started a ticking noise upon start up, which indicated the hydraulic lifter seals were bad

Great SUV!
By Steve

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for over 6 years and love it. It drives and rides great, holds necessary equipment I need for my job, have had some mechanical issues but were easy to repair (I do a majority of the work myself). Would purchase another once this one completely falls apart.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, lift window and pick up truck style tail gate, 60/40 split seats in back.

Suggested Improvements

None that I could think of.

Very good SUV
By robb

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have found that after owning this SUV that I am very impressed. Yes it is huge but I bought it to do a big job. I have 3 children and a wife that love to travel so therefore we have a 30 foot Jayco. It pulls great, it works great. If I had to buy another SUV I would get a GMC Yukon. Just love it

Favorite Features

Leather heated seats, the power to pull

Suggested Improvements

Easier movement to the back from the side doors.