1997 GMC Yukon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon model:
Not bad, but some major mechanical issues.....
By tubby423 on 02/13/11 08:54 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Yukon SLE 2dr SUV 4WD

We have done a LOT of driving in this vehicle. We purchased it about 3 years ago at 107000 miles. I knew that this model was prone to transmission and fuel pump issues when I bought it so that was no surprise when it happened. True to form we did both at about 120000 miles. We did the fuel pump AGAIN at about 160000 miles. We did a radiator & steering box shortly after purchase as well. The interior is ok. The seats aren't nearly as comfortable as the Expedition we own. It has a lot of room and can carry a lot gear. All in all it's not a BAD vehicle, but I didn't buy another one if that tells you anything...

Great truck!
By JustinS on 05/02/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

The truck has plenty of room for my wife and 3 kids and all our luggage or groceries. Only complaint is the brakes seem to go quickly.

Snow Buster
By Phil on 12/04/09 07:40 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When it comes to going through the deep snow, this vehicle performs with the best of them(providing your tires aren't bald). Out on the winter lakes in Wisconsin, your mind is put at ease that your in a Yukon!(see You Tube and search for an Eaton G80) It's comfortable, solid, has sufficient power. Drives like the first day it was purchased. I pull a boat and supply trailer with no problems. I have replaced the fuel pump, repaired the intake gasket @ 60K miles(costly), replaced drivers side door internal linkage, and air conditioner components (condenser, compressor, misc.). The gas mileage isn't great (12/17), but when your out driving in the wicked weather, you realize its money well spent.

Great SUV!
By Steve on 11/16/08 16:25 PM (PST)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for over 6 years and love it. It drives and rides great, holds necessary equipment I need for my job, have had some mechanical issues but were easy to repair (I do a majority of the work myself). Would purchase another once this one completely falls apart.

Very good SUV
By robb on 07/14/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have found that after owning this SUV that I am very impressed. Yes it is huge but I bought it to do a big job. I have 3 children and a wife that love to travel so therefore we have a 30 foot Jayco. It pulls great, it works great. If I had to buy another SUV I would get a GMC Yukon. Just love it

Love the truck. Hate the ABS
By Kat on 07/17/07 17:35 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this truck. It takes all 5 of us,our gear and motorcycle trailer anywhere. Ski trips are comfortable and safe with 4WD and all-terrain tires. I can parallel park with ease. Cargo doors the best. Excellent towing capacity. We had to replace transmission at 49,500. Steering box replaced at 35,000. Wiper motor replaced at 100,000. All under warranty. Professional grade!

Great Vehicle
By NGB on 01/13/06 11:58 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Yukon SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle new. It has been extremely reliable and is very sound mechanically. The truck has 129,000 miles currently and has not given a minute of trouble. I highly recommend these vehicles for anyone needing a four wheel drive and for anyone needing to haul or move things. We have used this vehicle to move our daughter back and forth to college for four years and into and out of her condo. I cannot say enough good about my Yukon. I love it!!

Great on the Open Road
By jeffroks on 05/08/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I and 3 other family members took this truck on vaction last summer. It is incredibly comfortable on the open road, and you have a feeling of safety when you drive it. Swallows great amounts of luggage. Took me through deep snow banks this past winter.

1997 yukon sle
By kanderson on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 2dr SUV 4WD

Had minimal problems w/ truck. Loved it but wish it got better mileage.

My 4WD Livingroom!
By Craig Ross on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I luvez my truck. Lovez my truck. This will be my 5th Chevy/GM truck in a row. I'm coming from Porsches! I have fallen in love with the simple things in live that just work now that i'm in my mid 30's. I have had lots of fun in GM trucks because I can forget about worring if they will work or not. I just sold my 1995 Tahoe LT 4-door for 7 grand with 200k on it running perfectly! It was never in the shop and I just wanted to get into a vortec motor for a bit more power and also get pushbutton 4wd for my wife. I got a used 97 Yukon for 9k.These are just the best THINGS with motors on the road. I treat them like crap and the always work.