Used 2003 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 GMC Yukon XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Worse MPG than my "91 Suburban
By SamanthaSpade

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I replaced my 1991 Suburban. That's the Old Old tank model. The 03 xl shakes you with every little bump in the road. At first it would bump my foot off the gas petal. This is not a heavy duty, made to last truck. The metal is very thin. You should not lean against the truck it may pop inwards on the metal. OK so I am getting use to this, but a truck that's half the weight of the 1991 Burb and not as solidly build interior or exterior, about 1/2 less leg room and storage compartment, and less the extra amenities, (1991 was a 2500 upgraded interior), I HOPED THE GAS MILEGE FOR ALL THESE MINUS' WOULD MEAN BETTER GAS MILEAGE, GUESS AGAIN. My 91 was about 12-14MPG all around. My 03 xl gets just over 11 all around. UGH! I did not purchase for the gas mileage, I purchased for safety. BUT I thought I would get 2+ MPG better in the xl. I write so your not expecting what the advertisement says UP to14city -17on the highway. the Up to is really stretching it.

great S U V
By marvin14

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

love my Denali i am approaching 167K i only replaced the fuel pump this year i had it for 7 years, i put new tires 3 years ago

Transmission trouble
By shane45

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 yukon xl 2wd for five and a half years.I bought it used with 22000 miles on it.It now has 103000 miles. At 65000 miles the transmission went out,a $2200 repair. At 77000 miles the instrument cluster lost gauge function one by one,this is a recalled issue up to 75000miles. The dealer wanted $800 to repair it.I purchased a used repaired one on ebay for $150. At 90000 miles the transmission went out again,another $1800 for repair. The power window motor went out on passenger side,drivers side is now moving slowly,so if I do it myself $300 repair. It seats 9,handles mountian roads great,but repair costs has lost my faith in GM. Save up for repair costs,you may need it.

Nine passenger seating,very comfy at that. Fuel economy not bad for such a big truck(19 on hwy with a couple of add ons) It corners great at decent speeds. I love the style of the 2002-2006.The engine has been flawless,no fuel pump issues or bearing issues,it just runs great. Just issues with tranny,instrument cluster window motors,and a few in dash lights. AC has been great,no service done. Just regular oil changes and plugs,wires,etc.

GM needs to find a solution to the transmission problems.I was reading the consumer reviews for the 2007 Tahoe,they still have not been able to solve these issues. Fold flat rear seat may be good,but I just take mine out when I don't need it to reduce weight & save a bit of fuel.

After 7.5 years
By Roman Nowwakiwsky

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The practicality of this vehicle is excellent. We tow a 4500 lb boat, live in the mountains with tons of snow, travel a lot in the summer heat, and this truck has served us well. Many drivers, wife, sons, daughter, all enjoy never having to ask "can we take this". GM has been poor on service, replaced costly front hub, speedo stopped working after warranty. Truck has 99k miles and working well with regular maintenance at non-dealer shop. All shops know Chevy engine so they can maintain it. Replaced battery, windshield washer hose, brakes, tires & snow tires, as usual. I believe there is not another utility vehicle out there as a choice for roomy loading and comfort. Leather seats last.

Comfortable Hwy ride, leather seats, space/load versatility, a/c is excellent, reliability has been good to us, traction in snow.

gas mileage, manufacturer backing on known defects i.e. instrument cluster, front hubs. We love car, hate GM

3 strikes and now what?
By Rushing

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my truck and for a house full of boys it is great. But why have we replaced the fuel pump system 3 times and now it has failed AGAIN? 1st in July 2008, then again in January 2009, then again in July 2009 and now just shy of a year it goes out again!

the Room