2003 GMC Yukon XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:
great S U V
By marvin14 on 09/22/11 23:37 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

love my Denali i am approaching 167K i only replaced the fuel pump this year i had it for 7 years, i put new tires 3 years ago

Transmission trouble
By shane45 on 08/23/11 11:34 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 yukon xl 2wd for five and a half years.I bought it used with 22000 miles on it.It now has 103000 miles. At 65000 miles the transmission went out,a $2200 repair. At 77000 miles the instrument cluster lost gauge function one by one,this is a recalled issue up to 75000miles. The dealer wanted $800 to repair it.I purchased a used repaired one on ebay for $150. At 90000 miles the transmission went out again,another $1800 for repair. The power window motor went out on passenger side,drivers side is now moving slowly,so if I do it myself $300 repair. It seats 9,handles mountian roads great,but repair costs has lost my faith in GM. Save up for repair costs,you may need it.

After 7.5 years
By Roman Nowwakiwsky on 07/24/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The practicality of this vehicle is excellent. We tow a 4500 lb boat, live in the mountains with tons of snow, travel a lot in the summer heat, and this truck has served us well. Many drivers, wife, sons, daughter, all enjoy never having to ask "can we take this". GM has been poor on service, replaced costly front hub, speedo stopped working after warranty. Truck has 99k miles and working well with regular maintenance at non-dealer shop. All shops know Chevy engine so they can maintain it. Replaced battery, windshield washer hose, brakes, tires & snow tires, as usual. I believe there is not another utility vehicle out there as a choice for roomy loading and comfort. Leather seats last.

3 strikes and now what?
By Rushing on 07/08/10 16:39 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my truck and for a house full of boys it is great. But why have we replaced the fuel pump system 3 times and now it has failed AGAIN? 1st in July 2008, then again in January 2009, then again in July 2009 and now just shy of a year it goes out again!

A great vehicle with over 100k miles
By Bayer on 04/17/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 100k miles and still have yet to have the first problem. The tires last to about 50k miles, it tows like a mule and rides very comfortably. It still idles like it was new; you can't tell it's running. GM did a good job with this machine!

GM maintains its UN-reliable reputation
By bandaid6699 on 04/05/10 18:22 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Four years is all I could tolerate with this beast. Yes, it has tons of room and a lot of nice luxury features. However, regular major breakdowns and frustratingly fragile parts has me switching to Ford for my future vehicles. The transmission has had two major failures and another one is eminent. Fuel pump, water pump, various electrical glitches also frustrate. We bought it used but 60,000 miles later I'll probably have to give it away...

A real SUV that can stand the miles
By High Miler on 03/03/10 06:10 AM (PST)

2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am approaching 140k miles on my Denali. It's a great truck with a great motor and trans with 0 issues to date. Is it perfect? No. Yes, you'll do wheel hubs anywhere from 40k onward. Big deal, I don't fret about a bearing. All vehicles have these types of issues. Right now, toyota can't seem to get a gas pedal to work. The steering column rattle I had replaced under a GM pilot part program. Same with my diesel truck. It's been flawless since. GM large SUV's and trucks share the same parts and platforms. People forget how much this truck really weighs and what it can do and that wearing parts don't last forever.

Great Vehicle If You Need Big
By gatescrash on 11/03/09 12:53 PM (PST)

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new as 03 leftover in Jan 2004, Had an issue with the AC leaking out and it took a few trips to the dealer to fix, but I blame the dealer for so many trips as they should have fixed in 1 or 2 trips, not 4. As far as big SUV's go this is one of the best. Ride comfort is great, plenty of room for camping, skiing, etc equipment. It tows an 18 foot bass boat like it's not even there and that's with just the 5.3 in it. I'd buy another one in the future but we only put 9K on this one per year so I've go a few years of use left in the old girl. It's a heavy vehicle so you'll replace brake pads around 50K and the e-brake drum rusts out so you end up replacing the rear drums, so use them ofte

Not likley to ge back to GM
By DavidB on 09/02/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been, without a doubt, the worst value for money that I have spent. I have purchased 8 NEW GM products. This is the most that I have spent and the most dissapointed that I have been (35% of purchase price on repairs, not maintenance). Head gasket leaked at 70,000 km. Random electrical failures from the onset have resulted in more than 35 dead battery incidents. Random sluggish performance due to fuel issues (new pump has not fixed the problem). Recently has been dieing on the road with 3/4 tank of gas!! This vehicle had great potential but the quality of the components has really killed my opinion. At least OnStar works when these things happened to my wife!

Impressed!
By Doug on 03/10/09 04:14 AM (PDT)

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am very pleased with vehicle. It has 110,000 miles and it still smells and drives like a new one. I have had different brands of vehicles, but not with the quality this Yukon XL has. I would never buy another Toyota after driving this GMC. I am very satisfied with everything this machine has to offer! I have been driving GM vehicles for 40 years now and I haven't found anything yet that even comes close to the quality! Thankyou GMC