Used 2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

Bad Apple
By Derrick Leak Sr

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Yukon XL(1500 2WD) brand new. By 30k miles my transmission went out, Steering wheels went clunk. My computer chip went bad not once but twice leaving the AC and heater running at full blast throughout the day/night until killing the battery. Between 30-45k the transmission had to be completely replaced. The GMC warranty folks just wanted me to agree on a warranty to wash their hands. I asked about all these problems and they were like never heard of anything like this before. After reading some of your viewers posts I see otherwise. I now have 81000 miles on it now and the tranny seal is leaking and the warranty is over. You already know how I feel.

The vehicle is very nice looking. Summit white always clean, 20inch chrome wheels. Gas milelage is OK. I've had it so long that I'm used to it. It's best at a half a tank or better. It does good to excellent when traveling long distance (gas milelage wise)

Sluggish performance when passing. Interior needs an upgrade.

Best SUV on the market
By leitew

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best SUV on the market. Extremely reliable and confortable to drive. Purchase new in 2002 and now the odometer reads 97,000 miles. The average gas mileage is 16mpg (city and highway combined). The only mechanical problem was the steering that started to make a "clunk" noise at about 40K. Took to the dealer who repaired for about $400. Now at 97K the noise is back. Other than that no complaints. Excellent SUV, reliable and confortable to drive.

Confortable to drive, safety and performance.

Better gas mileage specially at today's gas prices.

Better than I could have ever imagined
By BranCat

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought our Yukon XL last summer. We have 5 kids and are expecting our 6th in September. We upgraded from a minivan and we were so excited about having what we would call a luxury vehicle to cruise around in. Our vehicle came fully loaded and we just can't say enough about it. We have never had to do any major repairs on it expect for replacing the original alternator just this past month. I love the leather seats and the roominess. We are going to purchase a 4th row for the cargo area to accommodate our growing family. I can't say enough about this vehicle. We are going to drive, drive, drive ours until it falls apart. Even with the gas prices, it is well worth it!

Leather seats, moon roof, climate control, roominess, design, easy to drive, great on long trips

I don't really have any suggestions. I really like the XL the way it is.

Worst car so far
By clb7

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Yukon a little over 2 years ago and used to love it until recently, I have had to replace the rear end, 2 waterpumps, and the air conditioning. I thought I was all done but now my catalytic converter has gone out and I am sure that is not all that is going to go wrong. My back window is slowly quiting when you roll it up and my emergency brake has quit working all together. This is by far the worst car I have ever had, and the most expensive. I will not buy another one just for these reasons. Other than that, it is a great car, when it is running! I find that is great for the whole family and even pets and groceries but the reliabity just isn't there.

Heated seats and rear headphones for children.

Needs to be built better with durable parts of something. Mine is a lemon!

2002
By Yukon xl freak

2002 GMC Yukon XL SUV 1500 SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like to drive it. The power is not enough because when I want to pass people sometimes I have trouble passing them when they hit the pedal. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

4 wheel drive

Better gas mileage, more power