99 Sonoma SLS 4.3, v6, 4x4, 3 door
By herb25 on
1999 GMC Sonoma SLS Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB
After going through 3 cars that did not last as long as they should have, I got this truck last year. It had 200000kms on it, the motor sounded like new. The previous owner did not replace the faulty gas gauge which meant changing the fuel pump. I ran out of gas twice before I learned and had the fuel pump replaced (the faulty sending unit is part of the pump). Also the passenger seat would not recline, a mistake at the factory so I bought a parts truck ( 2000 Blazer ) and took the seat from it. I got the truck for $6000, safieted and etested, but so far I have had to replace the rear brake lines, and 3 calipers, gas tank, fuel pump, and rad, signal light switch.
Favorite Features
We beefed up the springs and can carry a decent camper on it, it handles well, rides well, great on gas, easy to work on. I got lousy gas mileage until I changed the cat converter and both 02 sensors. We now get 18 to 20 mpg with the trailer on, and its a heavy one. This truck with pass anything, no problem keeping up or leading the way. 4x4 is awesome in winter. Once we get lots of miles on this one, we will be looking for a low mileage 2002-2004 model with 4 doors instead of 3.
Suggested Improvements
Not much. My dad is breaking springs in his 2006 full size Sierra and he doesn't even carry a trailer. Is there less quality in new trucks?