Great Summer Car
By mikeonbass on
2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)
First - let my inform you readers I'm very car knowlegeable. I am quite skilled in the field of automotive engines and electronics. I deal with driveability issues every day. Having said that -this is my first Ford in 17 years. Its my middle-age-crisis toy. Im a guy who has owned scores of GM vehicles - some good and some lousy. I went with Ford this time because this is a company that doesnt appear to do alot of the dumb engineering things I have witnessed lately on either GM or Mopar. Having said all that lets talk about the car itself. I purchased this winter with only 4300 miles on it. I now have over 16000 miles on it after a few long distance trips the last couple months.
Favorite Features
The car has great exterior looks obviously. The 4.6 3 valver is a great engine with a very linear torque curve. It pulls steady all the way to 6K with no peakiness. The clutch is smooth and tranny is a joy to shift. You can start in second gear as easy as first. The instrument panel is very attractive and laid out simply. Same goes for all the interior controls for AC, Heating and radio. Power top works slick. Nothing much to figure out and fumble with. Steering is very quick and handling nimble. The interior is pretty good. The power leather seats are great. Very comfortable on long trips. This convertible has NO wind noise whatsoever at any speed. Top up or down.
Suggested Improvements
The dashboard is a little cheap with plastic. It could use a real padded dash like in the Shelbys. Independant real wheel suspension would be nice but is only an issue for me on rough roads. Ford should caution thier owners to change the oil every 3000 miles instead of 5. This engine has electronic "VVT". (Variable Valve Timing). You cant let it get real dirty without risking cam phazer problems. This applies to any engine with "VVT" no matter who builds it. Trust me on this.