Used 1999 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Lots Of Bang For The Buck
By Mike D

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd Stang, having previously owned an 86GT Hatch and an 86LX Cnvt. Bought the 99 with 11,000 miles in 2001. Currently has 145,000. This is a great car. Have had almost no mechanical problems. Great style and performance. Great exhaust sounds. Mach 460 radio/CD is great too. Convertible top works well. Tends to eat brakes. Headlight covers do fog over. Don't hit a bump in the middle of a turn or you'll find yourself in the next lane.

Favorite Features

Performance, style, exhaust sound, audio system, convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats are awful! Extremely uncomfortable. Seats in 2000 and newer are much improved. Cupholders are not good. Door panels are cheap.

Pretty good car
By steve

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my Mustang GT back in May of 01 and had the car till Feb of 08. This car was very well taken care of and I drove the car pretty crazy. The only reason I kept it running so well is because my uncle is a mechanic so most of the problem were fixed by him. I pumped regular gas in it but always used 10-30 oil. When it got to 75,000 miles I started using 10-30 high mileage mobil oil fully synthetic. That was the best oil I used. My car never leaked any oil because I always replaced any gaskets or seals that needed replacing. Changed all the normal wear & tear stuff. Always kept the car original except for the flowmasters. When I ran a smog check it had better results than a brand new Mustang

Favorite Features

Handles great, convertible top

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, better intake mainfold. That one that came with it had to get replaced. Better coil sensors, little bit more room in the inside

I love my mustange
By Bradsmama

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car. I think the performance is great. I love the looks I get when i drive it.

Favorite Features

The five speed transmission and the convertible top

Euro eater
By Skyler T

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Overall this is a great car, but I would recomend having another car for the winter. The car has an extremely responsive throttle, making the car very quick. There are many affordable aftermarket upgrades for this car. My catalytic converters became stopped up. And I've heard other other mustangs having the same problem. Othe than that I havent had anyproblems with the car. If you buy a sports car that has a v8 engine you shouldnt expect to get great gas mileage. I got about 14 miles in the city and 18 on the highway(220), but I was accelerating a lot so if you dry the car easier you could probally get about 250 miles on a full tank.

Favorite Features

great body style and horsepower

Suggested Improvements

Improve exhaust

Good...but could be better.
By Chaz123

1999 Ford Mustang Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Excellent value for the money. Great straight-line performance but handling is fairly poor. Car sits too high and handling suffers from lack of independent suspension during hard driving. Surprisingly good reliability; owned one for over 3.5- years and hexperienced only one problem (convertible top motor died, but replaced under warranty).

Favorite Features

Great punch from smallish V8. Awesome, loud exhaust sound.

Suggested Improvements

Handling (needs independent rear suspension. Automatic transmission shifts roughly. Interior design needs overhaul, upgrade.