Used 1997 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I totalled out my first one
By johnw489

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

i bought my first 97 and on the way home with it a fool ran a stop sign at about 50mph and t boned me. i woke up to smoke from the aiar bags but i was alive. i hurt my neck a bit from the air bag impact but i was fine. i went ahead and ordered me another one with 17 miles on it. i got the sports appearance package, the mach 460 sound system (SWEET) and an alarm system with a motion sensor. the company statement was if my baby was stolen and i still had the two fobs they would give me 5k!! i still have it and at 113k it still runs great. ive replace the suspension system but can still take those turns at 60mph easy.

sound system,alarm system

offer information on how to take care of the top. its 150$ just for the material on the top. mine needs it bad

MY BABY MISSY
By mustangchelz

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I absolutely LOVE my red '97 mustang! Its more reliable than any car i've had and it gets me everywhere. Im the second owner and had very MINIMAL problems, the biggest thing ive had to get done was the clutch. Ive gotten a new oil pan and fixed a water leak, but after 14 years can you believe thats the only work? I kept up this car from the minute i bought it. I was devastated when i got in an accident in december and totaled the car, but the safety was great and me and my little brother are alive. 210,000 miles the car still ran like a champ, wish i still had it. Thank you Ford!

Interior, nice for a 1997, and great radio. Fun drive especially because its a stick.

Suspension could be a bit more smoother

1997 Ford Mustang V6
By txstanggrl

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have always wanted a mustang as long as I could remember. Of course I live in a Ford only house which is great. After wanting a mustang for so long and searching forever to find one this one feel into my lap( it was ment to be). Although it needed a new head gasket and a new paint job and some minor things done to it I can't complain for the $800 I stanged this car at. I have enjoyed it to the max. Other than some repair I had to do to get it going when I first bought it , I have had no problems so far. It is not only a dream car but a great fun car. The engine runs smooth and has a great get up and go. I can say this much I will five this car until it just falls apart.

All of them

Bigger back seat!

Well worth the money for a first car!
By pat126

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought this car several months back with about 87k on it, and I'm already pushing 99k. Other than an issue with the electrical system due to chewed up battery terminals (a $6 fix), it has been one hell of a ride. I checked out camaros and a charger or two while I was searching, but every mustang I sat in just felt more comfortable, and even better I could actually see out of it. After a few bolt-on modifications it can turn some heads. I'm hard-pressed to say that I'll probably have at least a mustang in my garage at all times from now on. You only get one chance at a first car, and this nasty pony did the job!

By far the handling, but the interior seems to fit most drivers just right without the interior being too big. The sound is extremely distinct, as opposed to GM and Chrysler cars which seem to blend together every time I hear one on the road.

Not that anything can be done for it now, but for how this car rides, the engine numbers feel really underpowered compared to what they could be. Oh well, just bolt some mods on and let 'er rip!

Reliable attractive commuter car
By Zowie

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Own V6 5spd for 6+ years and drive it daily. I am over 40 and have driven a wide variety of company vehicles. I've only owned GMs and Fords, with models years dating from 1970 to 2003. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only thing that broke (excluding normal maintenance stuff) during the first 120k was the power seat switch. After 120K, I started having lots of problems with the rear. But engine, electronics, AC, interior are still good. In snow: HORRIBLE wheel spin. Gets stuck very easily and can't climb inclines most cars handle with ease. But steering and braking control is ok for this type of car.

I love the shape and proportions. Old school Fords like Mustang, Crown Vic and Econoline have good reliability and affordable repair costs. V6 is a good value used - if it wasn't a rental or abused by a teen. Lots of aftermarket doodads available.

Shifter too far forward for max comfort. Gearing could be a little lower. The one flimsy cup holder is in the way of the gear shift and hand brake. Poor quality leather on seats, but fabric ones are decent quality.