Used 2012 Ford Fusion SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

Ford Fusion great car, but transmission poor
By Rick Severance

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall I really like the car but there's something about the transmission that sporadically acts up within first 5 minutes of driving it, where it doesn't seem to know what gear it needs to be in and thus causes tach to jump around. Then it goes away. Usually always just a slow speeds..

Oh My Aching Back!
By shawn

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this car in early 2014. When I first had it, I fell in love with the Sirius radio (I actually used a plug and play radio for years until this one), and I had a Focus for four years prior. I thought this car would be an upgrade, but it has turned out to be the bane of my existence. Keep in mind, I don't have an ax to grind with Ford, as I've had an Escort before the Focus. I guess I've learned that I probably need a smaller car, however, it is more than that. I've had more issues with back pain than ever before, and I don't think this car has helped. I've tried to move the seat in every position, and still pain. I've also noticed than when I don't drive it for periods of time the pain begins to subside. Lately I've noticed that the visibility while driving is not good either; too many impediments, like the rear view mirror and the windscreen side posts (probably due to my incessant seat position moves). The only thing that I can say positive about the car is the MPG-it's pretty good for a car this size. It's too bad Ford had to squash it down so low to get this MPG. The seat seems to dip too low in the back, which creates no lumbar support and a heavy strain on the lower back in general. Now, I will say that I do use my lower back quite a lot, but I've come to the conclusion that the car does not help, as I've ridden in other cars that feel like heaven. My only advice is to people over five foot five, and that would be to never buy a Fusion. I hope i can sell mine 'cause I have seen several on the lots lately. Hmmm, wonder why? Good luck fixing this thing Ford!

Great road car.
By Buckbean

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am 6' 240. Drive 1500 mile trips weekly every month. Often PA, WV, and TN interstate mountain driving. Fusion awesome road car for these long trips. Typically cruise at least 75 mph. Without cruise, going 90 before I know it. Handles great, even climbing and curvy mountain driving. Have never driven a luxury vehicle, so cannot honestly compare as far as road noise. Fusion seems very quiet to me. Have had noisy cars in past. On long trips simple solution is cotton in ears. At 80,000 miles, the worst I get on my trips is 32 mpg. Very roomy front and back. Huge trunk. Other than tires, and brakes, and religious oil changing, I've never had to put a penny into it. I am far from a techy, so its lack of all of these fancy cameras and computer screens and other such crap is only a plus to me. Best performing and most reliable road car I've driven.

Still love it three years in
By cottre22

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Ford Fusion almost exactly three years ago (end of January 2012). The last time I purchased a car before the Ford was a 2005 Honda Civic. I bought the Civic for affordability but I was never really that into it. I love my Fusion. The best thing about it is the pickup. That's something that you notice when you're coming from a Civic. The Fusion has 175 hp minimum (depending on your model) and so it's easy to get up to speed when getting on the highway. My car is FWD but it handles okay in the snow. It's bigger and sturdier than my Civic so it doesn't slide around the road as much every time the wind blows. The "L" gear has also come in handy for getting out of snow banks.

I love the Bluetooth. It's nice being able to hook up Pandora via my phone to the radio using Bluetooth. The pickup again is awesome. I'm still enchanted with my car three years into ownership. Every time I get into my vehicle, I'm like, wow this is my car!

I got disenchanted with the SYNC navigation system. Ford got me lost when going from my hotel in Cleveland to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Also, the darn thing can barely understand anything I say. Honestly, I just started using Google Maps again at one point. The only problems I've had with the car I caused. I ran over a barrier in a parking lot and then my engine started making a lot of noise. I took it in and the mechanics were able to get the engine noise down although couldn't see any real damage to the vehicle. I guess I knocked a belt out of alignment or something.

Such a shame
By tbowen

2012 Ford Fusion Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2009 Ford Fusion I adored. Started having some issues at 105,000 so I traded for the 2012 Fusion. Man did they ruin a wonderful car with the changes. I hate the weak underpowered 4 cylinder in it. Gas mileage is about 28 mpg overall. Seats are hard and uncomfortable. The worst part is the transmission problems they can't seem to fix in the newer Fusions. It slips, shifts hard and jerks you, shudders trying to go up a hill etc. Had it in the shop and told after a computer update that it will fix itself! What a joke. AVOID this car!
Update 2016- took it in the dealer shop more than once for the same transmission problem related to the computer chip, never could fix the issue. I traded it in for a Toyota.