Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

should be a class action lawsuit against ford
By Beezies3

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford has known since 2003 that the dual clutch was no good yet they put it in my 2012 Ford Focus.

To loud
By Don't buy ford

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first things buyers should know about the 2012 hatchback at least, is that the upholstery material is not water or stain resistant. I live in Florida where it rains a lot, and the water stains from getting caught in a down pour are unforgiving. The interior of my car looks like it has giraffe spots. There isn't an upholstery cleaner out there that has removed these stains. What the heck was ford thinking!! Due to the close confines of the interior, the engine noise sounds extremely loud and it makes the car vibrate to much when sitting in park. This might be a nice, first car for a high school graduate to bump around in (it's a step up from a golf cart) but for mature driver's like myself who want a peaceful, quieter ride, Big mistake!

Horrible
By Kylie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

DO NOT BUY. The transmission is absolutely horrible and ford will do NOTHING to fix it. I have broken down 2 times, my car will not accelerate and the
RPMS just go crazy. I have had it in the shop 3 times within the past 2 months and they refuse to do anything for it.

Reliable little thing!!!!!
By Shirley

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

people complain about the way the focus drives it does shake at times and feels weird that's the transmission doing its job it's not your basic automatic tranny its's a manual shifting gears for you so it will drive a little like a stick but thats how it saves on gas and has some speed to it!!!! I bought the car used at 30,000 miles and had it for two years now at 69,000 and let me tell you i travel often and this car was never in the shop for one thing i love this car!!!!

Fun car with some quirks
By Old Pony

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this car new after my 99 Mustang got blown up by a mechanic replacing its thermostat...arg. Didn't want to pay the price for a new Mustang and didn't like any of the used ones on the lot. I chose the Focus because basically I'm a Ford guy and I thought it might tone down my driving style stepping down to something more civil in my old age lol.
Pros: This is a great handling car and feels very similar to a '72 Datsun 240Z I owned when I was younger. I live along the coast of Northern California and have taken it through the paces so to speak. It is an automatic, but handles the twisties fine. No mechanical issues to report, but I should mention that I drive this car with the traction control off (when traction control on it is terrible in some situations, but be warned you will need to hold on the wheel if you accelerate hard from a stop if turned off).
Cons: I'm not real comfortable with the seat build..kinda like Ford designed it to fit all sizes and I wish it felt snugger. The brakes are great when I'm alone in the car, but found that they could be better with a passenger. My car is actually an SE auto with a few extras. Stereo is barely passable for my taste. Resale value is still pathetic, but I think this is more a mentality.
Overall I'm very happy with this car. Allows me to still have some fun and feel comfortable driving. I got a 2012 Honda Civic once as a loaner during some routine maintenance..not even close when it came to driving experience and ergonomics.