Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I'm Still Happy
By Jim

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

First off, let me say that this car has a dual-clutch PowerShift Transmission. It's not an automatic transmission where you have a torque convertor and you simply step on the gas and go. You have to learn to drive this car with your right foot. It's not rocket science, and keeping the car in the right RPM range for the task at hand is pretty simple. I can't help but think that a lot of the folks who have problems with the way it drives have 2 skills: Stomp on the gas or stomp on the brakes. After 42,000 miles the car drives just fine, and with a little right foot control can be a lot of fun to drive. I'm getting 30 MPG in mixed driving, and other than oil changes and keeping the tires inflated to the proper pressure ( the original tires are still in good shape at this juncture) have had zero problems with the car. I like the interior, I like the way the car looks, and I like the way it drives. Guess I'm just lucky.

Bad Decision
By denise chiles

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had one problem after another. The door trim fell out, had to buy battery for remote key, Tires had to be replaced, all four in first year. Now my car won't start, no jump works, just won't start! Lights, radio, all electronics work, so far, just won't start-REALLY FORD! This car is a lemon! My sister has same make and model hers stop for no reason also. Ford after 3 times in shop finally told her it's a transmission modular. I hate to find out what mine is.

Go for it if you enjoy mental torment...
By Ty

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

... at every turn. I bought this car in the winter of 2013. I enjoyed it for its lovely ride and handling. It was very good in the icy twist backs of Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains. However, this is where it ends. First problem was the transmission, it shuddered very roughly in reverse and driving forward off the line. I've taken it in about 4 times at this point. I took it to billings, Montana and it stalled, leaving me stranded for 3 days while no one could find the problem. One clutch pack replacement later at 45k it's been decent, however now at 82k it's shuddering again(thank god for the extended warranty). It threw a tie rod at 72k nearly flipping the car. Then the sync module dies. And now the starter/ignition has left me stranded 2 times only to have it towed into the shop where it is now day 6 and no one can figure out the problem. Also a minor nitpick, Ford needs to change their fuel economy numbers for this car as I only return 22mpg in mixed driving. Keep in mind I've had this car for one year Ford certainly has made an excellent torture device. College student or anyone looking for that constant anguish and embarrassment, look no further.

Stay Away!
By jpspa

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2012 Focus and experienced the same transmission issues others have described- jerky, hesitation, lunging- which Ford apparently still has not fixed. Finally the transmission 'died' completely and car wouldn't go at all. When 'fixed", I got rid if it right away- not worth the trouble. I'll never buy another Ford, who should be prosecuted for selling this piece of junk and not recalling them.

Don't bother
By km09

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had nothing but trouble since the first month I've purchased this vehicle. The clutch has been replaced 5 times.. yes, the clutch in an automatic transmission. The car shudders, and shakes and doesn't properly drive and hasn't since I purchased it brand new with only 7 miles on it. Please view other options before Ford gives you the run around too. Oh and the seats- the "mesh" option is terrible. Water will stain them and Ford will charge close to $100 to clean them, nothing can really clean them.

Get rid of it.