Used 2010 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

285,000km
By dsantin

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall excellent fun durable reliable car. Good in snow, MPG, comfortable, features like manual / heated seats-mirrors, tilt steering, traction control that were hard to get at this price with others. It still runs so well but I look after it. I do some rough back roads in snow as well.

Favorite Features

Most everything

Suggested Improvements

Interior gets really hot in even as low as 50 Degrees F-- need air conditioner-- how is that progress Ford?? Paint sucks-- looks great but falls of in snowbelt regions-- bottoms and c-pillars. So I had a great new car and at 40,000 miles in 1st 6 months-- I am showing everyone my great running Ford car with the reluctant to stay on paint!! I see many driving around like that. That is enough to get me out of Ford-- they don't care really! Almost got it right.

Love my '10 SE
By mdmiddleton

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I know car magazines love to hate this car but I don't get it. Bought my '10 in '11 as a cheap gas saver and i've been very happy with it. The 2.0 4 cylinder isn't crazily fast but it easily keeps up to speed on the highway and averages 34/35 mpg. I'd like it to have another gear and be a bit quieter but overall this is a great car for the money. I take it toi the dealer for the recommended 7.5k services and it's never cost me more than $45. I'll just keep rolling on...

O-K until transmission went out
By wvnurse

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Focus as a used car with 20k miles. Tires were not so hot so replaced them. I drive 100-150 miles daily & needed good fuel economy. It gets about 30-35 on highway & much less in town. Have not had much difficulty until the transmission went out at 93,000 miles. Oil changes & check ups are done on time by the dealer's service department. The dealer has had it since March 17 tried 3 transmissions which were not good and is still looking for one. I authorized a new one but for some reason the dealer's service department is balking on it. Getting close to 2 months with no replacement to be found. Thinking about just giving it to the dealer & getting a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Sync is great, heated leather in the winter is a plus but replacing tires even with high performance is a bit costly.

Suggested Improvements

The warranty sucks. Come on Ford, stand behind your product.

4 years, 112,000 miles and still going strong
By afcarr

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a daily 132 mile round trip commute. This car was on my short list because it is one of few in the category that I can fit into easily - 6'2" and 210 pounds. I average 36 mpg overall - a little worse in the summer running AC all the time. Comfort is acceptable for a 2 hour commute. Leather and heated seats are pluses for comfort in winter. I do not like SYNC as it does not work with my cellphone. I have had only 1 warranty repair - a head gasket at about 80K miles. At 4 plus years the car looks and drives like new. It is no beauty, but I can live with it for the long run.

Favorite Features

Mileage, heated seats, headroom, reliability

Suggested Improvements

SYNC stinks, better road noise isolation, upgrade sound system

Go kart handling, go kart fit and finish.
By mitsu3kgto

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a cheap fuel savvy commuter and it was just that. I've had the car from new and now have 70,000 miles on it. It has never broken down and I have averaged 30mpg during my ownership. I drive this car extremely rough and demand a lot more out of it than it can really put up with, so for that it wins some points. I bought this car knowing I wouldn't have it for life, I changed the oil every 10,000 miles. The original brakes were terrible and vibrated from the beginning so I swapped them out, as with the tires that wore out at 20k and were god awful in the rain. I slapped some expensive tires on and it made the car much better overall.

Favorite Features

The premium sound with sync in this car is amazing. Sync can be glitchy at times but nothing unbearable. The handling in this car is so much fun. It's light weight and I have the manual so with some gear work it can be peppy. 30mpg no matter how hard I drove it. I did spend a tank being extremely cautious and pulled 38mpg highway, and that was closely drafting semi's at 65mph.

Suggested Improvements

Factory brakes are awful. Factory tires are awful. Car squeaks and makes all kinds of noises over bumps. Poor fit and finish. My biggest gripe from day one in this car is the manual transmission. It was stiff when I first bought it and thought it would loosen up as I drove it. If you shift too quick it grinds, struggles finding the gears and after 70,000 miles I think it honestly comes down to a terrible clutch and master cylinder. When I start the car up in the cold I have to pump to clutch several times to get it into gear. And I have heard the throw out bearing on the clutch rattle at idle since 2000 miles on it. Low quality but you get what you pay for.