Basic 08 Focus S
By focusedbi on
2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased with 950 miles 8/08 2yr additional extended warranty. 51K 10/12. Very basic model, no options this car. Regularly record 39-40 mpg highway comparing gas gallons at fillup and trip odometer. Acceleration is decent for 2.0 L normally aspirated engine. My vehicle is not listed on the 2 recalls on 08 Focus. Change oil every 3 months at dealer with my oil/filter. No problems to date except upper radiator hose leak at 90 degree plastic elbow. Changed myself due to expense quoted by dealer. I have been in 2 front-end accidents. NOTE: Body repair shop overtightened battery cable terminal. This wore the tin off the terminal, exposing it to rust. Had to replace battery early.
Favorite Features
Its just dependable transportation that I wanted, keep it simple stupid. Ford did this with this particular Focus. 5th works down to 28 mph without stumbling, so I don't have to shift often. Manual windows are great if you drive off a bridge and want to get out of the car quickly. A simple radio/CD. No cell phone or screen distractions in this car.
Suggested Improvements
Add another OD gear on top of 5th = 6 spd. manual for extended level highway use as option. Divulge to owners the deinstall/install method used in the upper/lower radiator hose to radiator due to the built-in clamp in the plastic elbow. This is prior non-standard. Dealer cost to replace is about 5X the retail value of a radiator hose assembly. Though replacement is simple, lack of knowledge lends to unneeded repair costs for simple tasks. Brake and clutch pedals seem designed for "little people". Separate them a bit and make em' bigger for my feet. Tin coated battery cable terminals are designed for minimum clamp on the battery post. Send a TSB to body shops to pay attention on this.