1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Definite Workhorse
By pdm2 on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab LB

The 60/40 seat style is right out of the 50's as are the springs bounciness. However easilly fixable with quality bucket seats via after market. Weak rear Axle needed replacing by 30,000 mi. Otherwise, pure pleasure I'll keep till the wheels fall off.

Ford F-150 There's no mistaking it!
By Michael WPa on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Make sure to have the tailpipe moved behind the rear passenger wheel or your cap on the back tire will start to turn green. I have turned many friends and family members to the Ford F-150 and they have been singing the praises since moving from Dodge and Chevy!

A Good Friend
By Rocky Mountain High on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new - it had recalls but nothing major - this truck has done everything asked of it - 4 wheeling it has been through mud, snow, and rivers - over rocks - never got stuck - the ride is smooth and power adequate - the seat comfort is great

1997 Ford F150 Excab with V6
By mbehr55 on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck except the V6 engine blew at 85000 miles. Head gasket or intake gasket leaked water into one cylinder causing hydraulic lockup. Piston broke and rod went through the oil pan.

Trucks kick ass
By ATL Chic on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

It's is an awesome truck -- for me a big change though because I had a Mustang GT

Drive train Headaches
By Donald Badstuebner on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is equiped with a 4.2 liter v6 motor. It is pleasant to drive although it is not very peppy. Gas mileage averages about 14 to 15 MPG which is about 65 % highway driving. I recently had a coolant leak in the timing chain cover. A local garage that employed a Ford trained and certified replaced the leaking gasket. I got the truck back and after driving it less than 300 miles the motor lost oil pressure and seriously damaged the engine(needed a new engine @$3800). Ford has had problems with the design and(or) manufacturing of some of their motors in recent years.

A pleasure to drive
By Chang Limbang on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Power nothing, but A/C & Cruise control makes for a more comfortable ride. I was a bit skeptical about the 4.6L V8 since Ford ditched the 302 from their truck line, but its run out very well for me. My only problem is a clunking noise in the rear end when taking off. I plan on having it looked at soon. Other than that its been a dependable truck for me.

best bang for the buck
By gonzo on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

after six years and over 146,000 miles my f150 supercab looks and runs great. only minor repairs of normal wear and tear. engine and tranny are still as smooth as the day i bought it. overall, great fit and finish. this is my fourth ford truck and it's by far the best I've ever had. my next truck is definitely a ford.

this is the best!
By alex013 on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 60,000 miles on it. Now after two and half years and around 122,000 on the odometer I had nothing exept the scheduled mainanence. What else could you add to it?

Chris' bad ass truck
By Stopher on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought 2 yrs old w/ 21K miles. Love it but had some problems w/ it that shouldn't have happend w/ low miles. 50K replaced upper/lower ball joints. 52K replaced U-joints. 54K needed 1st tuneup w/ new plugs/wires. 55K replaced calipers, due to seizing up, ruining brakes & rotors (Ford just replaced brakes 15K miles ago & wouldn't cover). I currently have 59K on it. I baby it & don't drive much & maintain in accordance w/ owners manual. Fuel mileage sucks. 13 mpg City, 15 trip. When I tow sleds (not often), 9-10 mpg. I have extended 7yr 100K warranty which Ford dealership sold me, but it basically covers nothing! Great ride!