1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
2007 Update on '97 F150
By Scout on 06/05/07 14:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased this vehicle with 60k miles on it 5 years ago. It has towed a trailer on 1,000 mile trips, been a daily driver. Oil change every 3k, and all scheduled maintenance. I just had the rear differential noise issue arise, and had the dealer use the factory ring and pinon kit...rather then trying used axles. Also new shocks. Other then that, it contines to run well. The ball joints squeak, the truck feels like it is out of alignment when it is not. No complaints otherwise. The 4.6L V8 is okay, not great for power. Likewise 17mpg is as good as mileage gets. If you can find one of these used in good shape, save yourself $20k compared to a new truck.

F-150 Satisfied Owner
By Joe Reynolds on 06/03/07 17:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

10 years and 130,000 trouble free miles have been my experience with this vehicle. Excellent in all respects. I got one of the first new 150 body styles.

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By jrg on 05/15/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My ten year old F-150 extended, short bed has paid for itself time and again. It has 133,000 miles, and have only had to replace tires and brake pads. The greatest expense was wire damage thanks to a local rodent. Ford wires must taste good. I get a constant 19 miles per gallon with the 4.6 V-8.

Great Truck
By srr7sk8r on 05/08/07 22:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is now 10 years old and I have owned it for 3 years. It is still reliable everyday and beats the style of the new F-150's by far. The Tritin V8 delivers 210hp and the lariat towing package is a class 3 so i have never had any problems towing anything. Plent of room for up to 6 in the cabin, unlike most tundras. F-150 is all around great american truck, wish they still made them like this. Only improvement would be gas mileage.

Best truck I ever owned
By Jerrys Truck on 11/29/06 10:25 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I now have 275,000 miles on my 97 F150. The only thing I have had to do to it is new front brake pads, new fan belt, 1 new battery, change plugs and plug wires twice, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of shocks, 1 coil pack, and kept the oil changed. Everything else is original. If this truck was to quit on me today I would buy another one. I park it on a concrete driveway every day and there is not one drop of fluid where it sits. I love driving a truck that is paid for and I can depend on!

Fun, Strong, Workhorse
By Justin on 11/18/06 17:07 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I love my truck! It is so much fun to drive and comfortable to boot. The engine is plenty powerful for all applications and the truck can haul some mega weight. The only complaint I have is the back window which leaks in around the seals. Apparently it was a design flaw by Ford and can be fixed easily at a glass place (providing you have the money to do so!). As far as the gas mileage, it's what you would expect for a truck (*slurp**slurp*).

Good American Product
By hydropump on 10/06/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Good experience, drives easily. Minor problems recently with "fault light" erratic turn on/off. No material structural problems. Normal tire wear. No alignment problems. This is my most recent Ford and much better service than 1988 and 1978 similar versions.

F 150 junk
By cchfd on 09/21/06 16:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

No more Fords for me. Truck has extensive work done to it from transmissions to exhaust manifolds. Not reliable and would never own another one.

Good Truck
By TN on 02/25/06 20:09 PM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new in 1997 and put on 151,000 miles on it in 9 years. It is well built and reliable. The only unscheduled repair was when the transmission broke at 98,000 miles. It was rebuilt for $2,000. Otherwise, absolutely no problems. Now at 151,000 miles it needs some repair but it shouldn't be too bad considering the low repair history so far. I'd say investing $2,000 now would buy me another 3 years of trouble free driving. Don't be afraid to grab one of these used if it has a clean bill of health. It will last you a long time.

I love my F-150
By zach bereiter on 12/13/05 00:19 AM (PST)

1997 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned my F-150 for about nine months now and haven't been happier! Sure its not the most flashy, but it is a solid truck. It has 107,000 miles on it and it hasn't had any problems so far; well except for the time a drunk person hit me. There are a few things I would change, like the overall fit and finish is poor, and who doesn't like more power? The highs are the handling and the "truck feel" it has, you know you're in a truck. Overall though I love this truck!