Used 1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

solid and steady
By raindogsteve

1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Got this truck with numerous minor problems but with an excellent engine compartment. Started first time at dealership. Fixed power windows, AC, and gave it a tune up (first one in 14 years!). The 302 V8 is bulletproof and truck sounds like a beast! A great, time tested truck!

Favorite Features

Cruise control, lumbar supports, power windows.

Suggested Improvements

Strengthen welds for front and rear bumpers.

Been a great truck so far
By mizzou

1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck with 106; 000 miles on it. It has 147,000 now, it's never left me stranded and has always run well. The only parts I replaced was a belt tensioner, radius arm bushings {only one was bad, but replaced both anyway} and ball joints just recently. I love the way it handles looks and drives. The fuel mpg could be better but I figure I make up for that with the reliability of the truck.

Favorite Features

i would have to say the 5.0 , i've had many people tell me these motors will run 200 or 300 k if not more. i love the design too. the last year they made them like that. i also like how the short bed handles with the shorter wheel base.

Suggested Improvements

i cant think of anything other than fuel mileage but it's a full sized truck so i guess it's about right all things considered. i get about 12-14 around town and 17-18 highway. not bad considering it's 14 years old and mileage is pretty close to the year the car was made.

Ol' Grey
By Little John

1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Best truck I have ever owned! Ol' Grey has 250,876 on the OD now and I expect another 200,000 easy. The only thing I have replaced is a radiator, shocks and tires several times and tune ups. He has a Straight 6, 4.9 L and man. tranny. If you have a chance to pick one of these up get it, that 6 will out preform a v-8 any day of the week and still deliver 15mpg city and 18 mpg hwy every time!

Favorite Features

That great old straight 6!

Suggested Improvements

The standard review mirrors stink and the bench seat could slide back about 6 more inches.

Beast
By MegaWolf2010

1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck as my first truck in 2009. Has a straight V6 in it with a 4.5 L engine. bought it with 150,000 miles on it. I added two 10" speakers behind the single cap bench seat and still had enough room. Was really surprised because i am a Big Guy. I also added a 2 in lift to the back of the truck. Doing this added 2 extra MPG. ( with tailgate up ) GREAT truck. Perfect Turn radius with 1:1 turn ratio. Once you drive this truck you will wonder why they made new ones.

Favorite Features

Chrome bummers (people don't tailgate you because it flashes back into their eyes), Great pulling power (hooked my dads truck to mine and pulled him out while he was stuck in mud trying to pull out my uncles truck) *Pulled both of em out with my truck at one time*, Dual Gas Tanks !!!!

Suggested Improvements

Lift back end for extra 2 MPG, either two 10" or one 12" speaker behind seat, New Radio System, New Gages, Polish Chrome when it starts to dull.

Ford Tough
By Darrell

1996 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck with 100,011 miles on it. It now has 254,433 miles on it and all i have had to do is replace the battery, torque converter, alternator, shifter inner guts and thats it. Still runs like new, uses no oil, leaks nothing. Not so fond of fuel mileage but hey its a 96 model. Looks like new when cleaned up. Drives better than my son's 05 Dodge ram. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, and even then may put them back on and keep driving it.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for me, i am 6'8" tall. Dual tanks, sporty body style.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, 60/40 seat instead of bench.