Not bad, no complaints
By dn010 on
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased a V6 XLT 2X4 in 2010 used from a dealer with 56K, I am now at about 87K. Issues I've experienced: one rear wheel bearing went bad, replaced for about $75 doing the work myself, also had check engine light for engine under-heating, replaced stuck open thermostat myself and turned off the light with my code reader - good to go. I've put in new rear brake pads only, spark plugs, I keep the engine happy with full synthetic. I drive to NY from FL yearly, gone up and back twice (over 2400 miles each trip) and have had no problems. I can TOW my 25' cuddy boat @ 4K lbs and my 18' boat @ around 2500 - can pull the 18' out of the water, haven't tried with the 25' and I doubt I will.
Favorite Features
My sport trac came with the fiberglass tonneau cover which I like, I can lock things in the back and not worry about it. The storage in the back is fine, I keep my hitch and jump cables in the one you need to climb into the back of the bed to reach and then tie downs in the other smaller ones. It's very roomy and comfortable inside - I drive to NY with my wife, 2 children-one of them in a car seat, and my dog all in the back seat. I loaded the back bed to the brink with my stuff from NY and drove all the way to FL with no problems.
Suggested Improvements
I wish Ford would have put a pull handle (putting it nicely) on the drivers side, especially when trying to climb in it. There is one on the passenger side only. Also some kind of improvement with the gas cap; I have to lube mine I guess because it doesn't rotate on the plastic ring that holds it to the truck. My rear turn signal bulbs keep dying for some reason, went through 2 already, never replaced the front signals. When I got the truck the center console cover latch broke & my seat back (arch) adjusting knob never worked since I got it. You also have to get used to the transmission.