Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Super truck - does everything I need it for
By Zap0007

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my truck since new (2004 ST XLS with a hard Tonto cover and bed extender) I get about 18-24 MPG depending where and how I drive - I would love to had better MPG. In 135,000 miles all I have had to do is regular oil changes, air filter, liquids, tires, brakes, rotors, and replaced front ball joints (normal maintenance stuff) It has been very dependable, the power locks have stopped working but that is acceptable I may have them fixed in the future. I paid less than $18K tax and all out the door new in 2004 and I have gotten my money's worth I plan to keep mine for another 5 years (my 8 year old grandson) wants it - not sure it will last that long, we shall see. :)

The best vehicle that I have owned!
By Roger Wilson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 at 39k miles. It had a knocking in the front end when I turned corners. I was told it was tie rods and charged 1000 bucks to fix. No problems driving until the familiar clunk happened again last year that was worse with cold weather but eased up in warm. I got under the truck and noticed that the sway bar link rubber gasket had been totally eaten up by the mount. 15 bucks for a new one..then did the other side for fun since it was easy and cheap. I bet that was what it was when I payed 1000 bucks 7 years ago. I am now at 112k and replaced all the shocks, brake pads and the two front rotors though the front right was the only one that needed it. I put new tires on it and it now rides like it did when I bought it in 08. the rear differential seal had a gradual leak that I replaced myself as well this past weekend. It is the XLT with all leather seats and rubber floors. it is so easy to clean and no seat stains! The electric rear window is nice and I love the bed extender. The family can ride in it comfortably when I need them to as well. I thought about trading in for a 2010 but there is nothing wrong with the truck after all the maintenance work has been done. I'm going to keep it for a while longer.

The Best truck out there to day 2013
By wvguy

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

10-4-13 I love my truck the 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 it rides very good belt very good great on gas & snow rain hope you will injoy your to scott wv

it has a lot of Favorite Features on it my is fully load

Hope ford bring back)))) the ford sport -trac it the truck your friend from wv scott 10-5-13

This vehicle could have been more reliable
By woodinva

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced Good year Tires RTS at 10k ( dealer replace) then again they wore out at 40K . Tranny replaced at 37K miles. Shocks replaced at 40K miles ALl new Front end & ball joints replaced at 40K miles. Bearings replaced at 40k miles. Got new Michelin LTX M+S at 40K miles now rides like a dream if you ROTATE tires every 10k miles.

Now after fixing Front end stuff & getting new tires love the ride. Sirius Sat Radio and ability to configure Haul & tow with convertible bed/ with cover and flip out extended rails to almost a 6 ft bed when necessary!

MOVE that HEATED SEAT SWITCH form seat to the dash!!! Give this vehicle a front end with grease fittings for ball joints and give it coil springs.. This vehicle will never stay aligned or stop wearing out tires with the current front end setup. Whomever is manufacturing your transmissions you need to give them the boot. Mine went out at 37K miles.. Glad I bout the extended warranty for 1800. The tranny cost $3200 and dealer had my vehicle for 1 month.. Luckily because of warranty I was in a rental car! Got 6yr 100k warranty.. still riding on it in 2012!

2004 ford sport trac problems
By hstafford

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

1 bought this suv new and have a lot of problems. always had a slight viberation then at about 70,000 miles the lifteres started rattling. took it to a dealer he said there was a sock in the valve cover which had falling down the cost would would be $300.00. aweek later they called said the timing chain was worn out now $1300.00.left it over a week i finally called them & the said fixted & was idling sitting ,then it broke agan, now we are over $3ooo.oo fixed & i took it home not very long & it stoped right in the middle of the road.in the shop again now the cam on the right side worm out. now price up to nearly $4700.00 fixedworkin ok . transmission went out then $2900.more fords for me.

rides & handles good, design is good.

get rid of the foreign motor & build a better transmission.

• SUV