Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Most Helpful|
6 Years and NO PROBLEMS
By A penny

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We love our Sport Trac. Our rule is when a car breaks down, we fix it then get rid of it. We have had our Sport Trac since January 2001 and have approximately 58k miles. We purchased an extended warranty but never had to use it. We have replaced our other car three times in the past 6 years. We did all of our regular maintenance, but no other repairs. In fact, we have original brake pads and tires. The only semi-complaint I can think of is it does not have the best turning radius (4x2). This is the first car that we will trade before a break down (I just want a new one).

Favorite Features

Car like ride, SUV like interior, pick up truck convenience...versatile.

It's all truck
By Dave Waldner

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it because my brother had previously owned it and after he traded it for a car he desperately wanted it back. It was lady driven between his and my ownership and she didn't want to part with it either. I bought it with 158000 kms and I use it like a real truck same as both previously did. It has hauled quads, loads of frozen meat, sand, and now I haul my 1300 lb lawn mower in the truck bed. It's got lots of power and it's fun to drive. I also love the way it looks. I've been getting between 23 - 28 mpg on the average week of work and play.

Favorite Features

Compact but roomy. 4wd is awesome. Love the box cover and the bed extender especially the fact that its fully lockable. Moonroof and the power rear window are the perfect venting combination!

Suggested Improvements

Drivers sear needs a lumbar. More storage on the doors would be nice.

Works fine
By Jesse

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my sport trac since 2002 and now it has 158,000.00 miles on it. I have had to do some routine maintainace but it still runs really well and I am having a hard time replacing because it is in such good shape. I will get at least 200,000 miles out of this truck but I also take care of it and not try to dog it out. I would say to anyone if you want your car to last, you need to look at your manuel that came with your truck and do the maintainance. You will end up saving thousands on repairs. I know because this is not the first Ford that I have got this many miles out of.

Best auto investment yet
By Joe Sonnier

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Choice 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac w/ 44k miles on it, outside of routine maintenance the only thing I've had to replace was a new hub due to off roading. The interior is very comfortable, great for commuting, camping, and overall driving. I live in Alaska and I haven't had a vehicle this reliable in the winter (started right up in -20 weather!) It has room for the kids, but extra hauling space in the bed, as well as great towing capacity for it's size. Excellent truck for family camping trips and small enough to take on most ATV trails provided there's not too much mud!

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof, back window, and tonneau cover! Push button 4WD is great in winter, as well as ABS breaking!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I'd improve on this truck is the fuel economy, but then again it's worth the overall versatility of the truck. I'm planning on putting a 4in lift kit on it this summer and some bigger tires, which will decrease my gas mileage unfortunately

Great little truck
By SnowBeast

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new with less than 100 miles after my 94 ranger was totalled by a kid running a light. This truck is a beast in the snow. Winter 06' brought 2 major blizzards here with over 2ft of snow each time within 2 weeks. Had to blast through drifts over 4 ft to get to work. No problem at all. That is even with the crap stock goodyear RT/S tires. Tires started "thumping at 10k. Had to replace pads and rotors at 30k. Repair shop said a caliper was frozen on the right front and chewed throught the rotor. Replaced rotors, pads and calipers over $700. Now the breaks constantly squeak. Besides that have not had any mechanical issues what so ever "knock on wood"

Favorite Features

Audiophile stereo rocks, tows good, very versatile, interior is stylish (grey leather) deep snow is no match in 4WD. Even better with meatier tires.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes, wish it was flex fuel capable, mpg, better tires stock. Vibration possibly from cupped tires under braking. (brakes checked fine)