Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Versatile vehicle
By yepthatsit

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like the fact that it rides higher than a car, it carries gardening and other materials and it is comfortable on even long trips. It has plenty of leg room for taller folks in the front or the back. It has a great cool style.

Love it but not a keeper
By Jnttsikes

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the truck and how it drives... I have had more problems mecanicaly than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I am a fifty year old female and I have had many vehicles. This was the first time I have ever worn out a set of brakes at 19 thousand miles, as well as go threw to the roter. That was a quick $400 out of my pocket. The rebuilt the transmition at 15 thousand. I had to have it towed in because it left ma stranded and would not get back going.... That all started about 8 thousand miles...

Drives and rides great. Handles good and gets decient gas milage. Looks great with the extras I have put on it.

Do a better job at building a mechanically stable vehicle. Now, I am looking at different brands and mine only has 21000 miles on it.

Accident waiting to happen
By stewywerf

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had multiple problems with my Sport Trac. The fuel pump went out on me at 3,000 miles and it almost caused a large accident. Since the dealership replaced the fuel pump it has stalled on my 5 other times but the dealership won't take the time to diagnose the problem. I asked them if a technician could drive the vehicle for a week so they could properly diagnose it. They also had to replace my steering pump, replace an interior light, adjust my hood so it would latch properly and add a missing label.

Cost of ownership
By lookingtotradein

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Several items were covered under warentee, but had to replace the front brake pads and rotors TWICE by 65,000 miles - I do not drive it hard - all highway miles. Radiator hose was sliced by a bracket in the engine. Oil cap mounting shattered at the first oil change. The hinges on the storage behind one of the rear seats snapped - again no excessive use. Love the concept but dissapointed at the experience.

Rear electric window, and the hard tonneau cover.

Fuel ecconomy. Cross bars on the roof rack as standard. Turning in 4WD very jerky.

We've now had TWO Sporttracs
By teacher's husband

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We leased the first one off the truck at a dealership. Loved it. After two years, we bought one "loaded" and have not had a single complaint. Wife loves the higher view, comfort, and reliability of the unit, expecially the factory road assistance (if she ever needed it!!) We even bought the extended 7 yr. 75,000 warranty, but have not needed any assistance. We've added custom wind screens - custom painted to match Sporttrac silver.

An 8 cyl. or more spunky engine would be nice...BUT, not necessary.