1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
My dream car!!!
By amadisily on 10/08/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in '99 after my previous one was totaled. It was a great value. At the time it only had 36K miles. Now it is at 308.6K! It still drives well but must retire. It has a tiny oil leak, but just started leaking radiator fluid from the engine and just sprung a gas leak. All in the past 4 months (3K miles). So, I'd say this car is AH-MAZING! I keep routine maintenance on the car, but I drive it like the sport car it is. It has held up royally! I still see them all over town, so I know they are great cars. But it's time to retire it and move on to a newer car. *sniff*

Ticking Bomb. Avoid !!!
By madcarpenter on 03/01/12 11:52 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our '97 Escort, 2.0 SPI engine recently succumbed at 121k miles to the well known, dreaded 'Dropped #4 Valve Seat' fatal engine defect particular to this poorly designed powerplant. ALL '97-'04 Ford vehicles using this engine are at risk of this happening as they approach 100k miles. Most consumer reviews of this problem claim it happened abruptly between 100k and 130k. It even afflicts vehicles that have been meticulously maintained by their owners! The steel valve seats pressed into the aluminum head of these engines expand and contract at different rates, eventually loosening. WHEN (not if) this happens, it's like dropping a grenade into your engine! Google it! Shame on you, Ford!!!

Plenty Left at 150,000 Miles
By bisjoe on 12/11/10 15:52 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 just got a new clutch, just before that a new serpentine belt. Other than those recent jobs only brakes, tires and oil changes and it's still getting me to work every day at 32 mpg. For a cheap little car the quality has been surprisingly good, even great.

Wish Ford still made them!
By Loving It Still on 05/16/10 15:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven BMW, MG, Healey, and the German-designed '97 Ford Escort is as much pleasure and fun as all of those. The car is an uber-reliable and sound vehicle if proper care and maintenance is taken and no stupid-loud stereos installed to shake it to bits. Most of the performance issues are readily deal with by installing sportier tires and with very few minor modifications, the sportier handling is that much more. This is an in-city sport-commuter crossover, not a sports car and not a luxury road boat, so don't bash it for not being what it wasn't designed to be or for user failure to maintain.

what do you expect?
By joe on 01/27/10 23:47 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

lets be real its a escort. If I had more money Id drive a benz but im a broke loser who flips burgers. If you talk great things about your escort your a loser. It does the job go to work and maybe you can buy a nicer car down the road.

Just had to rebuff
By Matt on 12/28/09 00:12 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I had to say something when I saw the posts bashing the sedan's performance. The Escort line has a long rally racing heritage and our other cars were BMW 3 and 5 series--there was practically no difference between them and our little Escort when it came to driving fun and handling. We're 12 years and 132,000 miles and the only repairs came from someone hitting us and two recalls that involved the air bags and seat belts. If Ford still made these, we'd be buying another one as an added vehicle, but sadly they want to focus on the Festiva instead.

Bullet proof
By John on 11/12/09 14:26 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I hope I don't jinx myself, but my Escort seems indestructible. I bought it with 72,000 miles and it just turned over 237000! It runs like a champ and gets 33-34mpg consistently. It still has the original clutch, struts, and even exhaust system! I would not hesitate to drive it cross-country. I typically change the oil at around 4K- 5K miles (most of my miles are pretty easy, few city miles) and it is never more than 1/2 quart low on oil. I love my Escort and will be very sad when I finally have to replace it. I'm shooting for 300,000 miles!

Just OK
By Matt on 07/29/09 17:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I have no complaints about the car other than the fact that the performance is basically non-existent. But for a 2L four, what can you expect. The mileage is ok, I usually get around 26 combined city/highway. Over the years its just been routine maintenance: oil, filters, belts, and the water-pump.

Great car!
By Ryan on 03/29/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We now have almost 178k miles on this little gem. A few minor repairs and few there, plus regular maintenance and WOW. She's been a good runner for us.

BEST VALUE CAR EVER
By Fuzzyhotdog on 03/02/09 12:40 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this last year sometime. Paid 600 bucks for it. Small hole from rust in the transmission line under the radiator but easy fix. It was so cold that the rest of the family's vehicles did not start at all. This little ford fired up no problems. It has over 179,000 miles and still running on factory parts. Am looking for another.