Used 1997 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

My dream car!!!
By amadisily

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in '99 after my previous one was totaled. It was a great value. At the time it only had 36K miles. Now it is at 308.6K! It still drives well but must retire. It has a tiny oil leak, but just started leaking radiator fluid from the engine and just sprung a gas leak. All in the past 4 months (3K miles). So, I'd say this car is AH-MAZING! I keep routine maintenance on the car, but I drive it like the sport car it is. It has held up royally! I still see them all over town, so I know they are great cars. But it's time to retire it and move on to a newer car. *sniff*

I love that everything still works on the car after 17 years. The power locks and windows, the lights, the radio....everything.

The interior ceiling fabric was coming down at the back window when I bought the car. I pinned it up and it has stayed. But now the rest is falling in. However, the car is old and this might be normal.

Ticking Bomb. Avoid !!!
By madcarpenter

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our '97 Escort, 2.0 SPI engine recently succumbed at 121k miles to the well known, dreaded 'Dropped #4 Valve Seat' fatal engine defect particular to this poorly designed powerplant. ALL '97-'04 Ford vehicles using this engine are at risk of this happening as they approach 100k miles. Most consumer reviews of this problem claim it happened abruptly between 100k and 130k. It even afflicts vehicles that have been meticulously maintained by their owners! The steel valve seats pressed into the aluminum head of these engines expand and contract at different rates, eventually loosening. WHEN (not if) this happens, it's like dropping a grenade into your engine! Google it! Shame on you, Ford!!!

Plenty Left at 150,000 Miles
By bisjoe

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 just got a new clutch, just before that a new serpentine belt. Other than those recent jobs only brakes, tires and oil changes and it's still getting me to work every day at 32 mpg. For a cheap little car the quality has been surprisingly good, even great.

Fun to drive, great gas mileage, easy to park and very small turn radius.

OK, so it's a little cramped inside if you are close to 6 feet but it is after all a small car. I wish they'd make those clear polycarbonate headlight covers last longer without getting so foggy looking.

Wish Ford still made them!
By Loving It Still

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven BMW, MG, Healey, and the German-designed '97 Ford Escort is as much pleasure and fun as all of those. The car is an uber-reliable and sound vehicle if proper care and maintenance is taken and no stupid-loud stereos installed to shake it to bits. Most of the performance issues are readily deal with by installing sportier tires and with very few minor modifications, the sportier handling is that much more. This is an in-city sport-commuter crossover, not a sports car and not a luxury road boat, so don't bash it for not being what it wasn't designed to be or for user failure to maintain.

The Ford Escort at home and abroad has a long rally racing history. They went through a few iffy years until the new designs found on the '97s and later, when the sportier build was returned and a few comfort items thrown in. An excellent car tops of its class; essentially a 4-door Miata sports car.

Don't be dumb and slap a loud stereo or "tune" the thing. It stands on its own. Sportier tires, slightly stiffer suspension pieces, minor upgrades, and a Magnaflow catalytic converter and you'll really see its sports heritage begin to shine. Loud stereos and idiotic mods only tear the car up.

what do you expect?
By joe

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

lets be real its a escort. If I had more money Id drive a benz but im a broke loser who flips burgers. If you talk great things about your escort your a loser. It does the job go to work and maybe you can buy a nicer car down the road.

the cost of tires